The Barkley/Naismith conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play Naismith, play Barkley slowly back into form, then see how it goes from there. As far as I can tell, if Naismith is still in form and has scored 15 goals by the time Barkley is fully in form, well that's a lovely problem to have, isn't it?

Until Mirallas is back fit, I'd go with this too. Pienaar, Osman and McGeady don't look like 90-minute players to me, so I'd look to bring two of them on with Eto'o to close out games.

Not just that, mate. I've yet to see us really get a grip of the midfield like we did last season. So I reckon that formation could suit us in that respect, too.

Why does BArkley walk back in? Id keep Naismith in over him currently..
Our you serious
We are missing Barkley like a hike in the head
He drives the team up the pitch from out own half
I think Naismith has done brilliantly but Barkley is our best player and at nearly 21 beads to start playing every week
Maybe 352 while Mirallas is out and play Naismith up front
To be fair he wasn't great against Liverpool or man utd until the goal and he finished to game quite well

People saying Barkley in Naismith out right away, this would be awful man management from Martinez if he was to do this. Basically saying however well you play and however many goals you score you'll just be dumped out the team as soon as an injured player is back. If he wants to change the style to accommodate the pair then I'd go:
Barry
Besic McCarthy
Barkley
Naismith Lukaku

However, if he's going to keep the same style I'd just play Naismith behind Lukaku. Barkley's a fantastic player but everything else can't be dropped and switched around just to accommodate him in the team, that's the way players get too big headed at a young age. Personally; I'd have them both in the team in the way I said, but Barkley should have to fight for a place if the style isn't to be changed.
Just posted that he comes straight back in for me not necessarily for Naismith
But he's our best player
By the way we are 17th
the way your talking we are top of the prem

Think we're one of the very few teams in the league who could do well with a 3-5-2, simply because we have the best fullback pairing in the league and they could bomb up and down all day. We also have defensive mids who can slot in at the back with ease when those two are bombing forward.

Could do with an extra centre back with quality though, as after Jags and Stones our options are poor.

I see no reason why we can't utilise one or the other (and sometimes both) dependent on who we are playing, how the match is going or how Martinez sets us up at the start of the game.

Spot on, horses for courses and a bit of rotation while we're still in three competitions works for me.

Got to be having Barkley over Naismith in the long run. However at the minute I'd drop Lukaku and put Naisy up front with Barkley behind him, see how that goes.

Think we're one of the very few teams in the league who could do well with a 3-5-2, simply because we have the best fullback pairing in the league and they could bomb up and down all day. We also have defensive mids who can slot in at the back with ease when those two are bombing forward.

Could do with an extra centre back with quality though, as after Jags and Stones our options are poor.
Agreed.

I'd be tempted to try the arl xmas tree, with the full backs giving us width.

Howard
Coleman Stones Jags Baines
McCarthy Barry Besic
Naismith Barkley
Lukaku​
Said that the other day, especially since our wingers are being gash at the minute.

If we were playing at home I really don't see why we couldn't have one of McCarthy/Gibson/Barry sitting deep, Ross next to them and then Naismith in the position he is now. Do we really need two defensive midfielders at home? Ross turns attack into defense brilliantly but Naismith will probably outwiegh his goals and assists if last season was anything to go by. If Naismith keeps this ratio up he's looking at +15 goals in the leeague. Can we really take that out of the side?

Barkley being a gazillion times more talented should answer any conundrum, hes not even back yet and we have plenty of games so this wont really be a problem, plus naismith will be an effective sub, so its all gravy

Just posted that he comes straight back in for me not necessarily for Naismith
But he's our best player
By the way we are 17th
the way your talking we are top of the prem

Like league position matters after 7 games. Don't care really top and bottom of it is that we can get them both into the same team which is what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back