The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening question makes it impossible to go beyond Southall and Dean. Perhaps Lineker as he got the golden boot in 86.

Sorry fellas but Lineker wasn't even the best goalscorer on Merseyside, he was good but never the "best in the world".

Ball, Wilson, Southall and possibly Kanchelskis.

If he's around long enough we might even be able to add John Stones to the list.

How is that? Didn't he slot 40 times in his only season?

Rush was a better finisher than Lineker, and a better all round team player in fact.

Did the season Clive Allen scored 35 league goals make him the best striker in the world?

Was that the same season he won the Golden Boot at the World Cup Finals?

Merseyside was truly blessed with Rush and Lineker up top.

Nope the following season when Lineker was at Barcelona playing on the wing.

Lineker at Everton got 40 goals and the WC Golden Boot. That '86 season Lineker was arguably the top of the/his game. Who cares about his time at Barcelona? I sure don't judge Southall on his time at Leyton Orient.

Southall certainly

You would assume Dixie Dean, but I'm not too up on world football in the 1930s if I'm honest, so I have little knowledge of context

There was a period of maybe 2 years or so not too long ago, towards the end of Moyes' tenure here when I wouldn't have swapped Leighton Baines for anyone in the world in his position, being deadly serious

They're probably the ones I'm pretty sure of

Other than that - Kancheslkis maybe for that one glorious year, although the likes of Figo etc were in their pomp back then.

Lineker? Had the likes of Rush, Butragueno etc to contend with, but he certainly was in with a shout of being the best in the world.

Lineker at Everton got 40 goals and the WC Golden Boot. That '86 season Lineker was arguably the top of the/his game. Who cares about his time at Barcelona? I sure don't judge Southall on his time at Leyton Orient.

Well I'd rather judge a player over a period of time to be honest and not just a season snapshot.

Like I said Rush banged them in for fun for years at Mordor, Lineker had a purple patch for a great team but moved on and never reached that level again even though he carried on playing for good teams.

Lineker was a good player but never the best in the world in his postion, not at any point in his career.

Well I'd rather judge a player over a period of time to be honest and not just a season snapshot.

Like I said Rush banged them in for fun for years at Mordor, Lineker had a purple patch for a great team but moved on and never reached that level again even though he carried on playing for good teams.

Lineker was a good player but never the best in the world in his postion, not at any point in his career.

Mate it's fine if you believe that. I think the discussion is based on the particular player's time at Everton in the position they played. Not at another club in a different position. It's hard to answer, as I said originally, as the best in the world? That is pretty tough for any player, no matter an Evertonian.

Rush was a better finisher than Lineker, and a better all round team player in fact.

Did the season Clive Allen scored 35 league goals make him the best striker in the world?
Rush wasn't better. We just didn't see the best of Lineker since he was playing for Barca where he stayed for 4 seasons with a decent goal record while rush failed at juve.

Mate it's fine if you believe that. I think the discussion is based on the particular player's time at Everton in the position they played. Not at another club in a different position. It's hard to answer, as I said originally, as the best in the world? That is pretty tough for any player, no matter an Evertonian.

No I agree it's just subjective, but I think maybe people's loyalty may be getting in the way of seeing something that was right under our noses. In fact he was our Nemesis for most of the 80's even when we were at our best.

In fact feck it I hated the big nose [Poor language removed] Lineker all the way!!

No I agree it's just subjective, but I think maybe people's loyalty may be getting in the way of seeing something that was right under our noses. In fact he was our Nemesis for most of the 80's even when we were at our best.

In fact feck it I hated the big nose [Poor language removed] Lineker all the way!!
if rush could have played against us every week he would be the best ever. But he didn't and the stats ba k up lineker was better

Lineker had a purple patch for a great team but moved on and never reached that level again even though he carried on playing for good teams.

Hiya Dougie...Lineker kept up his impressive scoring ratio at Spurs and also England, especially at the big tournaments (a quality sorely lacking in the overrated golden generation). He got 10 World Cup goals...world class that.

his stats:

Everton: 30 goals in 41 games.
Barca: 43 goals in 103 games.
Spurs: 67 goals in 105 games.
England: 48 goals in 80 games.

Compares well with any striker (in the world) of the mid-80's to early-90's period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back