The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rush wasn't better. We just didn't see the best of Lineker since he was playing for Barca where he stayed for 4 seasons with a decent goal record while rush failed at juve.

This is one of the reasons why I rate Lineker as world-class and Rush as...well...not quite.

Hiya Dougie...Lineker kept up his impressive scoring ratio at Spurs and also England, especially at the big tournaments (a quality sorely lacking in the overrated golden generation). He got 10 World Cup goals...world class that.

his stats:

Everton: 30 goals in 41 games.
Barca: 43 goals in 103 games.
Spurs: 67 goals in 105 games.
England: 48 goals in 80 games.

Compares well with any striker (in the world) of the mid-80's to early-90's period.

I did say he was a good striker Doc, just not the best. With all the other mentioned theres no one to touch them. With Lineker there was a better striker no even a mile away for me never mind the other side of the world pal.

I did say he was a good striker Doc, just not the best. With all the other mentioned theres no one to touch them. With Lineker there was a better striker no even a mile away for me never mind the other side of the world pal.

Rush buggered us to feck enough times, like...but he failed at Juventus like a little homesick puppy. His record for Wales was average and he didn't score much for his other clubs either. Even his overall record for Liverpool is at a ratio we know from our own Tony Cottee. Lineker was a class (or two) above that.

Yes...but we couldn't get Everton games back then. Only the odd snippet at the back of the paper if we were lucky in those days. Tape delayed World Cup finals.

It was bleak for coverage here until the turn of the century really.

I'd imagine it was tough and I wouldn't recommend YouTube or anything to catch up on how effective Rush was because I'm certain it will contain to many goals against us to be honest.

'Best in the world' is a media soundbite. There is no way of telling who was the best in the world in their position in the past because without TV coverage it is impossible to compare. Only in recent times with so much football on TV could you make such a call with any reasonable amount of accuracy.

Naismith. He's not a striker/Number 10/AM or even a footballer at times. But he's the best in the world at however it is you describe what he actually does not that any other Teams would dream of playing somebody in that 'role'

Started watching us in '83 (glory hunter) and in that time I reckon:

Deffo: Southall - one of the greatest ever EFC players.

Maybe: Lineker, Sheedy, Steven, Kanchelskis, Baines

Worth a mention: Rooney - by far the best youth product and genuinely world class for his age while at EFC

Nobody else has come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back