The early nineties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe we didn't get relegated to be honest. We were utter filth, definitely got lucky with Limpar's dive for the penalty, Segers' pathetic attempt at saving our third goal, and Chelsea's players taking their game against Bolton seriously despite their fans' desperation for them to throw the game.

Can't believe we didn't get relegated to be honest. We were utter filth, definitely got lucky with Limpar's dive for the penalty, Segers' pathetic attempt at saving our third goal, and Chelsea's players taking their game against Bolton seriously despite their fans' desperation for them to throw the game.
god bless hans segers, the dodgy bung taking legend

I reckon that the back pass rule change actually had a far bigger effect on football than the whole sky/premier league thing. This and tweaks to offside rules have just made football loads more open and encouraged attacking football. Might even say sky got lucky to inherit a product that had suddenly got a lot better.

As for us, well from his book Sharp reckoned it was mainly down to the replacements not drinking as heavily as the old guard, so that's one theory!
didn't beagrie drive a scooter through a hotel glass door smashed off his face?

Lots of wrong managerial appointments killed us, Walter Smith, Mike Walker, Howard II, only Joe Royle seemed to be a good call in 10/15 years until moyes came. I know we had declined by then but imagine if we were in a position to attract Wenger all those years ago, things could have been very different

a few posters have mentioned that Stuart McCall wasn't good enough, I was quite young at the time but I thought he was a great player and well worthy of a title chasing midfield, the problems were elsewhere on the pitch

A brace against Liverpool in the FA Cup Final. An Everton legend if we hadn't blown it in extra time.

Lots of wrong managerial appointments killed us, Walter Smith, Mike Walker, Howard II, only Joe Royle seemed to be a good call in 10/15 years until moyes came. I know we had declined by then but imagine if we were in a position to attract Wenger all those years ago, things could have been very different

I think even Everton were in a position to nick the manager of Nagoya Grampus Eight, to be fair!

Nobody apart from the Arsenal board had heard of him. Don't think we've ever made an appointment as bold as that.

It was a shame we couldn't attract someone like Bobby Robson in the early 90s.

Owes debt to Vialli the Chelsea manager, who said at the time, " its our duty to Everton to do our best, remember the Everton fans chanting his name, but that was a terrible time to be an Evertonian, hope the future Evertonians never have to go through that experience again.

Walker was quite a coup as well at the time which makes it worse.

Ruined him as a manager as well.

I think even Everton were in a position to nick the manager of Nagoya Grampus Eight, to be fair!

Nobody apart from the Arsenal board had heard of him. Don't think we've ever made an appointment as bold as that.
Impressive vision from Arsenal alright - big roll of the dice that paid off hugely. They strike me as the club that have profited the most from the prem era as they weren't necessarily nailed on to capitalise the way a Utd, say, where. Big London fanbase like that they were always going to do at least OK as the game became more monetised, but they could easily have ended up like Spurs, who took years to straighten themselves out and still haven't won anything.

Walter Smith
A true gentleman to be fair
A legend over Hadrians wall
Looking back it was probably a worthwhile appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back