What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 582 67.8%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 240 28.0%
  • 👎

Votes: 36 4.2%

• Total voters
I genuinely don’t know how big we are any more in the modern game….its a bit of a wierd one. I think those slightly older will still see us as Big Five, but the reality is now, we are nowhere near that, in terms of recent footballing success, commercials etc. I would imagine worldwide fan base we are nowhere near as well, the history’s there but with each passing year,other than being a PL club, I feel like one those clubs that ‘used to’ reach finals in the 50s.

We’re a nothing club in modern football. Just a mid table PL side.

I genuinely don’t know how big we are any more in the modern game….its a bit of a wierd one. I think those slightly older will still see us as Big Five, but the reality is now, we are nowhere near that, in terms of recent footballing success, commercials etc. I would imagine worldwide fan base we are nowhere near as well, the history’s there but with each passing year,other than being a PL club, I feel like one those clubs that ‘used to’ reach finals in the 50s.
Our name rings out, we are a club with a very rich history, just recently, history is all we have.

Its about getting in the mix, pushing for Europe, trying to get to a cup final.

Its not going to be easy, we play in the hardest league in the world, a league in which whole countries own football teams.

Asking a fanbase that has been starved of success to be patient is a bit rich, but patience will be required.

I asked AI what the Friedkins plan was - I can't say I understand it, but they're laughing at us lads. Laughing. At. Us.

roma.webp

This is the galling thing.
If we were able to get some success though, be that FA cup or get near to challenging, I do think (hope) our history / pedigree would be lorded again.
Our 9 previous titles would be of interest if we were in the reckoning for a 10th etc.
I don’t doubt that when (🤞🏼) we are initially challenging Sky would present it as our 1st Premier league title but success breeds respect.
First things first though, let’s try to keep out of the bottom 6 😤
I’m not even sure how big we are in the City any more for the younger generation. I’m 50 now so my early childhood was in the 70s when they were winning everything, but at least we were still competitive. Even then I have a few friends from my friend group, who became rs, even though their dads were blues - I could imagine that continues to eat into our local fan base year after year. It’s not so much the older generation I worry about, it’s when we go, how many of the newer generation will be supporting us.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back