What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 576 68.0%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 236 27.9%
  • 👎

Votes: 35 4.1%

• Total voters
That's EXACTLY what Friedkin's game was. A piece of that stadium.

Just another parasite.

Never put your faith in Everton's 'experts' who called these people 'serious players'.

I called that Friedkin lot out as chancers right from the off. They were struggling to keep spending at Roma and all of a sudden they have the cash to pick up our debt, pay Moshiri off and bankroll a PL football club...it was strictly for the birds.

A lot of people fell for it though, so don't be surprised when they're conned again.
Dave, Roma were a basket case club mired in huge debt and losing money hand over fist when he took them over, he's now got them turning a profit whilst actually massively improving them on the field.

He did it through cutting a huge amount of the 'waste', restructuring bad loans and paying most off, streamlining the club how it operates and striking actual competitive commercial and sponsorship deals.

He's not the typical leverage buyout yank loading debt onto a club to gain control.

In terms of owner - short of a sports washing operation he's literally one of the best types of owner a club could have.

I know you're sceptical but there's nothing in this guy's background that rings any alarm bells, he's very much a rarity in terms of billionaires as he operates very much above board in the interest of the entity he controls.

He'll be the owner here inside the next 6-12 months btw, the paying off of the two genuine (none fleecing us) loans showed commitment (both loans interest are reported to be lower than any we had btw), the fact he walked on seeing the 777 mire in detail simply put is a holding tactic to avoid being caught up in it's fallout - it'll also allow him to get the club for a lower eventual price (which again is a good thing).

He'll be the owner here inside the next 6-12 months btw, the paying off of the two genuine (none fleecing us) loans showed commitment (both loans interest are reported to be lower than any we had btw), the fact he walked on seeing the 777 mire in detail simply put is a holding tactic to avoid being caught up in it's fallout - it'll also allow him to get the club for a lower eventual price (which again is a good thing).
That's projecting ahead with some certainty. I'm not sure you're right, tbh.

Didn't Dan Friedkin walk away from the Roma negotiations in exactly the same way? Then 2months later he was their owner. If Moshiri is in any way interested in a sale, he will need to need to offer up a better deal than he wants to. Might happen, might not, but either way, I'd expect Dan Friedkin hasn't fully walked away yet.

Didn't Dan Friedkin walk away from the Roma negotiations in exactly the same way? Then 2months later he was their owner. If Moshiri is in any way interested in a sale, he will need to need to offer up a better deal than he wants to. Might happen, might not, but either way, I'd expect Dan Friedkin hasn't fully walked away yet.
I think that was down to Covid in regards to him initially pulling out of the Roma deal.

How much interest will Friedkin make on the loan? Its not at RMF rates I don't believe? It would be a bit of an extreme way of going about things for group with a turnover of $11bn?

I think the initial reports that they were interested in a minority stake were closer to the mark and they decided to change tack to a full buy-out once there was at least one other credible rival bid.

Last edited:
Dave, Roma were a basket case club mired in huge debt and losing money hand over fist when he took them over, he's now got them turning a profit whilst actually massively improving them on the field.

He did it through cutting a huge amount of the 'waste', restructuring bad loans and paying most off, streamlining the club how it operates and striking actual competitive commercial and sponsorship deals.

He's not the typical leverage buyout yank loading debt onto a club to gain control.

In terms of owner - short of a sports washing operation he's literally one of the best types of owner a club could have.

I know you're sceptical but there's nothing in this guy's background that rings any alarm bells, he's very much a rarity in terms of billionaires as he operates very much above board in the interest of the entity he controls.

I'm inclined to think he will return as well, but it will be drawn-out. It's what happens in the interim that's the issue, and failing to keep the squad quality and depth above the relegation water-line. Who is going to fund working capital.

My concern is that TFG and others think that relegation is a scenario they can live with, and look to pick the club up then and just think we'll recover and all will be ok.

We can't continue to operate as we have been with punitive debt interest costs. We don't know what leeway there is about paying off A-Cap and whether Moshiri will have to stump up some off that. I can see why there is reticence about a new buyer paying it all off even if the escrow solution is viable.

That's projecting ahead with some certainty. I'm not sure you're right, tbh.

Oh God Dave, I could well be wrong, but I'm almost certain on his motivations being genuine, if getting a foothold in on the stadium was the intention, then he could have at any point simply either purchased the loans from MSP and Bell or simply stepped in as an additional source of funding once 777/ACAP went tits up.

He didn't which suggests his motivation is to own the club and turn it around - the guy comes across in various interviews and second hand reports as very much a nostalgic guy who prizes history. Genuinely feel that he wants the challenge of doing a restoration job on a historic institution.

The unknown is just how deep the pit is with regards to ACAP and RMP is though, as until that's resolved or resolvable without getting him mired into it then he will stay connected but at arms reach.

One thing I am certain on, he's not a chancer - I'd say the polar opposite.

And whilst initially he made some bad decisions at Roma in terms of spending - he learnt the lesson to bring in people and stepped back fast into a support role for them. Something here we all too painfully know is rare for an owner to do

If the money is not the issue, maybe Moshiri could pay off the A-Cap loan and take on any fall out/liability down the line (which he should as he engineered the situation). Then add that cost onto the purchase price, so he gets the £200 million back but the new owners have no association or relationship with A-Cap?

If the money is not the issue, maybe Moshiri could pay off the A-Cap loan and take on any fall out/liability down the line (which he should as he engineered the situation). Then add that cost onto the purchase price, so he gets the £200 million back but the new owners have no association or relationship with A-Cap?

Again, you’re giving him too much credit in assuming he’s clever enough to think of that.

Again, you’re giving him too much credit in assuming he’s clever enough to think of that.
Like he has 200m.

I'm inclined to think he will return as well, but it will be drawn-out. It's what happens in the interim that's the issue, and failing to keep the squad quality and depth above the relegation water-line. Who is going to fund working capital.

My concern is that TFG and others think that relegation is a scenario they can live with, and look to pick the club up then and just think we'll recover and all will be ok.

We can't continue to operate as we have been with punitive debt interest costs. We don't know what leeway there is about paying off A-Cap and whether Moshiri will have to stump up some off that. I can see why there is reticence about a new buyer paying it all off even if the escrow solution is viable.

That's also my main concern - the length of tin this could take and the ensuing damage done before getting through it.

I'm assuming we are cutting costs currently, recent transfer dealings suggest a significant attempt to reduce the wages we are paying and fees in the short term. New sponsorship deals are looking better than previous figures, so hopefully all of that mitigates in part the hemorrhaging effect of the RMP and ACAP loans, which if numbers I've heard are true are absolutely ridiculous in terms of interest paid.

The problem with the escrow situation would be for me, if ACAP goes belly up you'll be left dealing with the appointed body designed to recoup whatever it can to pay back creditors. Normally that can be anything from 1%-30% of the capital amount. Ball park numbers btw, if you've set a escrow account up unless I'm mistaken the entire amount would be handed over to the creditors after the bankruptcy.

So you'll be throwing away potentially 150m plus you could hd e avoided paying.

The same goes for early repayments, we'd likely be hit with a huge penalty for paying them off early, and right now due to the ongoing litigation in the states I'm not sure also if they'd be allowed to negotiate a % of the debt payment on their end.

All in all a mess

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back