The GOT Book Club

Ah, a kick of Russian literature too, I see. :)

I'm currently reading Roadside Picnic too, although it's taking me longer as I've not had a lot of time.

We have the Metro books at home as the wife's read them, I'll probably kick on to that too soon enough. Russian/Slavic literature tends to be a bit too heavy to keep reading book after book (or maybe it's childhood trauma as we had mandatory reading and Bulgarian literature is, believe it or not, equally as heavy) so I might go to some other things from the goodreads list.

On that note, anyone here read Snow Crash and is it as good as the synopsis for it sounds?

The Stalker games are basically re-imaginings of Roadside Picnic. If you've played any of the games you'd be much quicker to familiarise with the environment of the book.
Just finished this , good read

Currently reading Steinbeck’s East of Eden

8-DF4386-E-0-E00-4-AD3-9045-7-C95-AFBC0-CDD.jpg

😮‍💨😮‍💨😮‍💨

Roadside Picnic, not something I would normally pick up, but find this thread useful for reading books recommended by posters.
Finished that too. What's your take on things (if you wanna talk about it obvs)? Kind of pleasantly surprised by how it describes an entire alien "picnic" happening, with the anomalies and everything, without ever actually 'showing' any aliens ever; just the effects.

Personally I might look into some more Strugatsky brothers' novels - they're very interesting and well written.

FC17A4A4-E8DC-45AD-8AED-09631D5753EE.webp

Someone on here recommend this - Into Thin Air / Jon Krakauer.

Couldn’t put it down, outstanding.

The author recounts without blame, the Everest disaster of 1996, of which he was part of.

The film, with Josh Brolin, pretty much uses this book as a template.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back