the hole in midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitsBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
spurs away at the beginning of the season, a great win for us, some good goals, but there were signs then of the problems. for that game we played neville and carsley in the centre of midfield and it simply invited pressure and cutting passes into our own half.

fast forward to fiorentina away, nevs and cars in midfield and that pressure and those cutting passes were again invited onto ourselves and this time we were punished.

the best defence in the world will eventually crack after prolonged pressure.

we couldnt get hold of the ball and move it round with any authority, simply to keep possession and to relieve pressure, heavens, even to keep the ball on the ground and go a yard into their half in space.

from back to front we once were

cahill
kilbane gravesen arteta
carsley

back then, cahill was a bit of an unknown, the formation was new and other sides struggled to get to grips with the extra man and extra options in midfield.
on a personnel note, kilbane being a tall left footer was helpful as he won his share of headers and could every now and then bang a decent left footed cross in. gravesen played his best football, with the space made by cahill and the decisive passing of arteta he had the job of pulling the strings and dictating the attacks, all in the knowledge that carsley was backing him up defensively so he had the confidence to try some outlandish stuff.

fast forward to today and lets consider, the five in midfield is still utilised, in a couple of forms

cahill
pienaar ??????? arteta
carsley

and

cahill
pienaar.................arteta
carsley neville

we dont have any height or enough physical presence in midfield anymore, osman has stepped up in some games and has performed very well, but in games where himself, pienaar, and to a point cahill get easily swept off the ball, suddenly we look toothless and vulnerable.

gravesen was brought in to help cover this position, and in january munny fernandes was brought in to provide some skill in the passing department.

neither gamble has payed off.

carsley and neville have grit and determination, but neither possess the passing prowess to push the team up the field and to dictate attacks.

moyes has looked at a lot of players, parker, essien, gonzales, sissoko, toure, and a host of others. he knows we need a power player in the middle, and one that can pass the ball well.

until we recruit a good enough player to be our 'midfield general' we are going to struggle.

That clearly is the 'missing link'.

But i don't think we can discount Manny/Munny completely.

He has had knock after knock since he came and been unable to have a run of games.

I still have a little hope that he can step up and be the answer.

To be pernickity, Graveson and Arteta never played in the same team.

Back to the point though, two holding players is quite common in Europe. Valencia and Milan for instance typically play two holding midfielders, three attacking ones and a striker.

The difference is that those two holding players are typically made up of a tackler and a deep schemer. Think Gattuson and Pirlo. One breaks up, one sets attacks moving from deep. We have two breakers in there and no one to initiate moves.

Against some teams that works (ie teams without a real passing ability of their own) because we don't go long spells without the ball if we lose it ourselves. Against Fiorentina however it was cruelly exposed as we just couldn't keep the ball.

Very good post, I was actually thinking that today whilst watching Man Utd. They have Scholes, Arsenal have Fabregas, Liverpool Gerrard, etc. etc., we have no real central midfielder with central midfielder abilities - The hole I was really hoping could be filled by Fernandes but he hasnt shown that he could do that this season.

manny is nothing on the type of player we need. all the clubs who are successful and win have a leader, keane, veira, gerrard, lampard, zidane etc. i have posted something similar in the past, to take the next step we need a player in this mould, manny is too young and it seems big for his stupid yellow boots.

Very good post, I was actually thinking that today whilst watching Man Utd. They have Scholes, Arsenal have Fabregas, Liverpool Gerrard, etc. etc., we have no real central midfielder with central midfielder abilities - The hole I was really hoping could be filled by Fernandes but he hasnt shown that he could do that this season.

Agreed, but we need someone abit bigger then Manny with strength but the abiliuty on the ball, passing etc.

Oh and the midfield was in 04/05:

Cahill
Kilbane Gravesen Osman
Carsley

And Arteta just replaced Gravesen.

We have a playmaker he plays on the right wing.
when arteta first arrived at goodison he played in the middle and would control games in spells (abit like manny) now i think he has matured as a played and improved, maybe we should give him another chance?

if it doesnt work we put him back on the right

just a thought?

Pienaar played well for South Africa in the middle as well, but him and Arteta both do well on the wings, I'd rather we get someone who will always play central and who is experienced at doing so

the poblem is who do we get?

the players mentioned all play for big clubs, if the rumours are true then moyes tried to bring in Lucho Gonzales, but he didnt want to come. we need to play well in europe to attract these players, but need the players to do well in europe. anyone got any realistic targets?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Pienaar play center mid a bit at both Ajax and Borussia Dortmund? He might not have the strength right now, even though sometimes he surprises me, but very well could with a bit of work.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Pienaar play center mid a bit at both Ajax and Borussia Dortmund? He might not have the strength right now, even though sometimes he surprises me, but very well could with a bit of work.

who do you play on the left, asuming moyes would rather osman in the middle than Pienaar?

I think Michael Johnson at City will turn into an excellent player in the very near future. Seems very much in the *spit* Gerrard mould.

I would not be in favour but hasn't Arteta's best mate Alonso been mentioned a few times?

Status
Not open for further replies.