Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The next manager appointment (new thread)

The next manager appointment

• David Moyes

Votes: 113 19.3%
  • Carlos Corberan

Votes: 93 15.9%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 61 10.4%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 79 13.5%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Abel Ferreira

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Imanol Alguacil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henrik Rydstrom

• Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Davide Ancelotti

Votes: 63 10.8%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 18 3.1%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Sergio Conceicao

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Roger Schmidt

• Edin Terzic

Votes: 19 3.2%
  • Kasper Hjulmand

• Christian Streich

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • A caretaker like Big Sam, Warnock etc

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Mister X not mentioned

Votes: 74 12.6%

• Total voters
But what you neglect to say is he took West Ham, from relegation candidates to 1. Europe to 2. European Trophey - in the last three years - I wish football passed us by like that.

You can micro analyse variables - but ultimately all that matters is outcome. I’d be really disappointed with someone like Jarod Bowen for sure.

He repeated what he did here, there and built WHU as a football club - just watch them disintegrate now.

To many react on here to public persona as opposed to actual skill and competency.

Absolutely

Moyes did an unbelievable job here with us at an extremely difficult financial period for the club.

People have a go at him for his record at 4 clubs but apart from Ancelotti in a season with no crowds we’ve not won at any of these grounds under any manager since. Our record against Spurs and City was also better under Moyes.

I don’t think Friedkin would look to Moyes at all and I think for fan unity the club has to look in a different direction for the new manager. That said though the point about incremental improvement is key. It’s very very unlikely that the new manager is going to immediately have this squad playing Arsenal and City away from home with front foot attacking football. You only have to see the problems Lopetegui is having with far better players, Glasner now struggling, Postecoglou under pressure, Ten Hag having relative problems despite his squad quality. It’s not as simple as fans just yelling at managers to go for it more. It never has been. Patience is going to be required whoever takes over.

We’ve been over this a million times. Martinez lucked out by being given a world class striker. Put Lukaku in the Moyes team for the previous 5/6 years and we would be top 4 every season without a doubt. Martinez peaked at 5th and the drop off after that was dramatic and the football extremely boring. The job Moyes performed here was incredible.
‘Without doubt’

Moyes was a graveyard for strikers - discuss.

I loved him when he was here, I don’t want him back.

How did you feel about him by the September after he left?
Why does a short term opinion matter? You were probably one of those guys who thought Ashley Williams was an upgrade on Stones and Jelavic was better than Suarez. They were some people’s short term takes. Moyes is responsible for virtually all of Everton’s best seasons and performances since the late 80s.

Was he? Yakubu when fit did fine as did Saha. We were always short of one quality attacker and squad depth. Minimal investment would have had us in the top 4 every year.
Yes he was.

How can you know Moyes would have come good with investment? What has Moyes done elsewhere with (considerable) funds since?

Why does a short term opinion matter? You were probably one of those guys who thought Ashley Williams was an upgrade on Stones and Jelavic was better than Suarez. They were some people’s short term takes. Moyes is responsible for virtually all of Everton’s best seasons and performances since the late 80s.
Why is it short term? this is my opinion over a decade later - that’s half a generation.

Stop trying to incorrectly conjecture on my opinions - you’re wrong (go look in the archives if you want - NEA).

Moyes wasn’t responsible for 2 of our most exciting 3 seasons - Martinez’s first season and Carlos season.

As previously stated - I loved Moyes when he was here. him coming here would be a mistake, with a lot of people viewing his previous tenure through rose tinted glasses

Why is it short term? this is my opinion over a decade later - that’s half a generation.

Stop trying to incorrectly conjecture on my opinions - you’re wrong (go look in the archives if you want - NEA).

Moyes wasn’t responsible for 2 of our most exciting 3 seasons - Martinez’s first season and Carlos season.

As previously stated - I loved Moyes when he was here. him coming here would be a mistake, with a lot of people viewing his previous tenure through rose tinted glasses
You’re chatting wham mate. I’ve been actively following Everton since the early 90s. Moyes gave me by far the best period as an Everton while he was here. There have been other false dawns, 95/96, Martinez first season, Carlo first half of Covid season, but you can’t dispute how good a job Moyes did. Every manager we are linked with will have under achieved at other clubs. Grownups understand that management is often a zero sum game.

You’re chatting wham mate. I’ve been actively following Everton since the early 90s. Moyes gave me by far the best period as an Everton while he was here. There have been other false dawns, 95/96, Martinez first season, Carlo first half of Covid season, but you can’t dispute how good a job Moyes did. Every manager we are linked with will have under achieved at other clubs. Grownups understand that management is often a zero sum game.
I disagree. Opinions are like ars****es after all.

Try talking to other Evertonians with a modicum of respect when they haven’t bad mouthed you (‘Grownups’ do that)

The length of time you’ve been an evertonian doesn’t automatically give your opinion more gravitas, and I say that as someone who remembers the latter part of Kendals first stint at the club.

I’ve said I loved Moyes when he was here (in the main), he would be a bad appointment for where we are post investment, and his track record with funds doesn’t change my mind on that. He also treated the club without respect after he left, and in the 6 months after he agreed to join United but still remained our manager.

Most importantly his appointment would not unify the fan base, because whilst half of us remember the Moyes good times, half remember the bad.

Last edited:

Was he? Yakubu when fit did fine as did Saha. We were always short of one quality attacker and squad depth. Minimal investment would have had us in the top 4 every year.

We need to stop blaming managers for not getting the best out of rubbish players and just back them with good players. Lukaku Mirallas Barkley in 2014 was a very good attack for any manager to have. Stones is a top CB under any manager, James obviously. Branthwaite looks to be similar.

A lot of the time though we’re asking our managers to unearth gems, play kids, get more out of poor players. Our historical rivals though are just writing blank cheques for their managers to go out and buy the top players int he world in their position. We can keep having a go at previous current and future managers but it is just easier to give them better players.

Not many will argue that Moyes didn't do a fairly good job when he was here. How he left and subsequent comments after didn't help.
But he left us in 2013. It is now approaching 2025. Move on . He's part of our history. Not our future.
I agree. But of all the managers we have had since Royle he was the best in the transfer market by an absolutely massive distance. Smith, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce and Ancelloti squandered millions and millions on tat and hence why we are were we are. Our aim should be someone as good as Moyes in the transfer market with more progressive tactics. Transfers are basically the key thing.

We’ve been over this a million times. Martinez lucked out by being given a world class striker. Put Lukaku in the Moyes team for the previous 5/6 years and we would be top 4 every season without a doubt. Martinez peaked at 5th and the drop off after that was dramatic and the football extremely boring. The job Moyes performed here was incredible.

Moyes football was extremely boring, pragmatic, until this last couple of years.

He got turfed out of West Ham for the same thing despite winning them a trophy and keeping them a competitive top 8 side.

Martinez didn't "luck out" he's always had an eye for attacking talent even at Wigan. His football eventually turned boring in the same way but more attractive to the eye. We're currently at a time where Pep-like football is "the right way" even though it's equally as boring.

His first season was the best football we've played for almost 2 decades though.

And the Moyes type striker is one that runs the channels. Antonio said the same thing on a podcast about Scamacha not doing it and being dropped and soon sold after.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back