The Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last two seasons on Martinez: We were, for the most part, shambolic, but.. they usually tried (until the back end of last season) - they might have fallen apart too often, for the lack of a better squad and some attitude issues but at least they generally could be counted on to give it a go.. we got to two semi-finals and, but for appalling refereeing at City and some proper finishing against United should have reached two finals (it goes without saying we'd have lost to the RS and - maybe - beaten Palace).

But, there we were - November 2014 and we got 1 win in 14 - against a hapless QPR. Surrendered 3-0 at Southampton, 3-2 at a terrible Newcastle, went out (having lead with minutes to go) in the cup on penalties.. terrible in a 0-0 at home to WBA (remember the Mirallas penalty incident)?

And none of those mid season problems were really solved - Martinez got rid of the troublemaking Eto'o, binned Distin for reasons we didn't learn about, but aside from that no-one significant left or came in.

Moving on to 15-16 and Martinez obviously didn't put his foot down - Mirallas was still having a strop here or there but wasn't moved on - even after two ridiculously stupid red cards. The reasonable performances from Naismith were deemed surplus to requirements whilst £13M was chucked down a large whole labelled Lokomotiv Moscow - other than that? Well, freebie Cleverley, Geri would flatter to deceive.. Lennon for a few million to work hard . And now?

Well, no-one could possibly say we didn't know who was going - Pienaar, Hibbert, Osman, Howard and then Stones (to no-one's surprise, finally). And being Everton we do what - on the back of two lousy seasons, an aging squad, a new manager (after coughing up a ridiculous £10M to get shut of Martinez)? We bring in: Another ridiculous loan deal (for Atsu/Drenthe etc read Valencia), a decent player in Bolasie but we pay way over the odds, a decent back up keeper who is drafted into the first team.. a decent centre-half but no long term future.. and the one decent buy of the past 2 or 3 years in Gana.. as usual - we DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY, WE DON'T SHIFT ANY OLD AGE PENSIONERS, WE TOLERATE THE STROPS, WE DO SWEET FANNY ADAMS ABOUT IT ALL.

Just look over the park - Klopp won't get all his transfers right but - jeez - he's got shut of almost all their deadwood inside a year. What have we done? Sent a message to the squad that you can carry on - or, failing that, the manager will dump you with the kids..I JUST DESPAIR.

Just had a look at the whole squad today and 10 of the 18 man squad were players here in 2013/14. How many, through consistency, deserve to be there now? For me Lukaku and Barry but only just.

And that folks is the crux of the problems we face. Absolutely awful recruitment for a number of years. When you don't succeed, you must strengthen every single window. Facts are we signed relegated players, ageing players, or players deemed surplus to their teams requirement for 3 going into 4 years.

Would like to see in comparison how many of the top 7 teams have players in their starting eleven that they had three years ago. We had of 7 of 11 today.

Every team, no matter how successful or unsuccessful in a season, must look to improve their squad every single window with quality. The fact that for the large part our teams consists of players who have shown nothing but having an inferior complex is why we are in a current predicament. No other top teams would consider that satisfactory.

I'm happy to write off the season as long as it does mean wholesale changes throughout January and summer. The players have the worst attitude I've seen in my 20+ years supporting Everton. My issue is I'm not sure I've got the faith in Koeman/ Walsh/ the board to pull it off. Summer was an incredible opportunity missed. We need more than panic buys such as Bolasie, Valencia and their ilk. We need a well thought out plan which begins being implemented from Jan 1st. Agree with the OP though- there's a misplaced arrogance in the team and they've showed no ability to either adapt to Martinez's tiki taka or Koeman's style.

I think the players are aware that Koeman is going to get rid of as many of them as he can and they have given up. The sooner we get to the transfer window the better. These players are taking the complete p#ss, I would play as many youngsters as I could. I would prefer to see players trying, even if they get beaten.
The problem is who will buy them. Championship level at best.

Everyone who is going on Tuesday, please boo these on to the field. They deserve no support whatsoever. Don't deserve the privilege of playing for the club.

Despicable scum the lot of them.

Hopefully get to 40 points as possible, bomb off the prima Donna's and play the kids to give them experience for next season to play alongside a team full of new signings.

Needs to get rid of at least half the current squad of 16 from today.

Status
Not open for further replies.