The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it won't - very difficult to use two left footed players in 3 man defensive line, especially when Jagielka should be the one who plays centrally in this combination.

Makes no difference whether its 2 left footed in 3 or two right footed, same issue occurs. The problem is when the only rihgt footed one is in the centre.

3 either footed, but it's a rarity.

Thing is - the most central defender should be relatively comfortably with stepping into midfield and having most leadership qualities, so from this trio it's clearly Jagielka. Playing left footed player as RCB will be much more difficult than playing two right footed or two left footed players centrally in 4 man defensive line.

Actually, it would depend on the opposition and the way in which they set up i.e. whether they have one man playing through the middle up top (4-5-1 or 4-3-3), or two (4-4-2). If they have two up top, then the central defender becomes "spare" amd therefore a ball player, meaning his attributes should be pace (to cover the other two) and passing.

I'm manage a football team and actually use this formation, so I know the practical implications inside out ;)

heard today that barkley is off to the mancs...15mill

Don't think it will happen, more likely to get games here next season.

“Things like the award give me real hope of becoming a first-team regular and I’m thinking about next season already,” he said.

“I’ve got the Under-20 World Cup coming up, so I haven’t really got a summer but I’ll be ready for the pre-season, for the new manager and hopefully I’ll impress him.”

Quotes from Ross in the post 4 days ago

Actually, it would depend on the opposition and the way in which they set up i.e. whether they have one man playing through the middle up top (4-5-1 or 4-3-3), or two (4-4-2). If they have two up top, then the central defender becomes "spare" amd therefore a ball player, meaning his attributes should be pace (to cover the other two) and passing.

I'm manage a football team and actually use this formation, so I know the practical implications inside out ;)
I don't manage a football team (respect to you), so my opinion won't look as strong as yours, but I would say in this system defender who lacks pace can only eventually play centrally, LCB and RCB would make it difficult, as as they have to cover more space and are more prone to be put in 1 on 1 situations in less tight spaces.

Also, there is always a problem of playing 3-man defensive line against 4-5-1/4-4-4. Some coaches would never do that as they have 3 central defenders against one striker, so they will struggle in numbers elsewhere on the pitch. Some of them - mostly managed better teams - will risk going 3 on 3 at the back. And some of them would adapt trying to have their wingbacks working differently.

Negredo just scored an amazing goal against Valencia - there's no way we will be able to get him during the summer. It was clear to me already a few weeks ago, when I spotted he is close to 20 league goals, but now chances are even more slimmer. Only chance for us get players with high reputation like him it's when they are struggling, not when they are shining like him at the moment.

Negredo just scored an amazing goal against Valencia - there's no way we will be able to get him during the summer. It was clear to me already a few weeks ago, when I spotted he is close to 20 league goals, but now chances are even more slimmer. Only chance for us get players with high reputation like him it's when they are struggling, not when they are shining like him at the moment.

We could do with sending him to Manchester united's new coaching team for a season, we could pick him up for about a fiver then.

I don't manage a football team (respect to you), so my opinion won't look as strong as yours, but I would say in this system defender who lacks pace can only eventually play centrally, LCB and RCB would make it difficult, as as they have to cover more space and are more prone to be put in 1 on 1 situations in less tight spaces.

Also, there is always a problem of playing 3-man defensive line against 4-5-1/4-4-4. Some coaches would never do that as they have 3 central defenders against one striker, so they will struggle in numbers elsewhere on the pitch. Some of them - mostly managed better teams - will risk going 3 on 3 at the back. And some of them would adapt trying to have their wingbacks working differently.

Actually, I relish playing teams with 1 striker! It means my central man picks up their middle striker man-for-man with my other two defenders "spare" so they push wide and push the wing backs higher up creating overloads on the flanks. You're quite right though, that now the requirement of pace shifts to the outside CB's as these are covering defenders.

When teams play two up top, your LCB and RCB go man-for-man with your middle man sweeping; hence pace being massively important for the central man.

My favourite thing about playing 3 CB's is how I can swiftly change emphasis further forward; I switch between 3-5-1-1 and 3-4-3 pretty often. If we're defending a lead, then I tuck my wing backs in to make a 5 at the back.

Kone, McCarthy and McManaman

Martinez to take over at Everton after Wigan agree £1.5m compensation... and boss sets sights on Kone, McCarthy and McManaman

Arouna Koné
220px-Arouna_Kone_8963.JPG

Appearances: 38
goals: 13

James McCarthy
images

Appearances: 42
goals: 3

Callum McManaman *grew up on Merseyside supporting Everton
images

Appearances: 30
goals: 6

what do you guys think, would they be good signings?

Personally I would take all of these, also at a reduced price as they won't want to play in the Championship.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back