The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a massive fan of either, would prefer we swerved them both. I'm not even convinced we're interested, it was The Sun who reported it after all. If it came down to the two - it pains me to say this - i'd probably pick McGeady.

You really don't rate the lad then mate :lol:

Apparently we're interested in Twente's goalkeeper Nikolay Mihaylov.

If anyone can read dutch: http://www.headlines.nl/nieuws/14/1897720/

"Nikolay Mihaylov has gotten the message that he should leave at FC Twente, who report Voetbal International. The Bulgarian goalkeeper has a one-year contract in Enschede.
FC Twente with Sonny Stevens, who this summer came from FC Volendam, though a replacement at home for the first keeper. The 25-year-old Mihaylov is in the interest of Fiorentina and Everton."

You know who he used to play for don't you?

Nathan Dyer is an idiot. The way he acted in the Carling Cup final and his general play I want him nowhere near our team.

If it had to be a Swansea winger I would rather have Routledge

You're misunderstanding me. Category three is essentially "during the contract with us will you get old enough that no-one else will buy you unless you're RIDICULOUSLY good". In Kone's case, that chance is very high... for someone in their early twenties the chance is as low as can be.
Ah. Gotcha. Fair enough.

However, all other things being equal, a 33 year-old average player is worth very little whereas a 24 year-old average player will always be worth more. So £5m on Kone is more of a risk than £5m on an up-and-coming 20/21 year-old, because if they both simply perform adequately over a three or four year stretch Kone has no resale value whereas the younger alternative has some at least.
However! ... if they both perform "adequately" based on their respective ages we would be getting better performance from Kone. Doesn't allows follow but most of the time a striker has his best years around Kone's age. "All things being equal" is a stretch based on average performance at certain ages -- I would agree if we can find a 20-24 year old for 5m who will score 15 goals ... we should sign that person. Not super realistic.

So are we a better team playing a 20-year old striker who might get 6-8 a year for a few years and then be sold for a 5m profit? Or better off with 15 goals a year and no profit? (Not that either of those totals are guaranteed of course but a 20-22 year old scoring more than 10 in the league would be fairly rare.)

I think people get hypnotized by potential a lot of the time. That 20 year old has a wide range and the low range of his ability would be washing out of top level football. Kone is vastly more likely to succeed at this level. Yes the young player is vastly more likely to make us a profit but I think you are vastly (word of the day) overestimating the average value of that transfer profit v. the value of Kone's extra goals.

I also don't believe in selling players at the peak of their talent level (I believe in selling players who are valued more than their worth to our team ... see Rodwell, Jack.) so the idea we are preferring that option in order to turn a profit doesn't appeal to me.

Goals mean money today; youth means (maybe) money tomorrow. Money today is better than money tomorrow if the money is equal ... and I don't know that it is equal (I think Kone's goals might be more valuable). If anything it's 50/50 and then money today wins.

The extra goals Kone provides over the average "promising young striker" are arguably worth more to us in terms of league position money than the transfer profit we *might* make on the young guy one day.

Again ... I'm not especially keen on Kone in particular but I do see the logic of bird in the hand talent now rather than the lure of unfulfilled potential.

Playing the younger players will likely result in worse league position. If we have any shot at keeping Baines it's because we're close-ish to the CL. He's a top bloke but he's probably not even considering staying if we're finishing 11th all the time (forget this years Man U. approach he'd have probably left last year).

Being in the mix for Europe gives us a slight leg up in that regard (both in retaining current players and attracting new ones) and a player like Kone will help us stay in that spot better than the average 20-22 year old "who knows he might be good one day" striker.

You can chase "potential" all the way to the Championship. I want the best players on the pitch so we can win games and trophies NOW. Obviously we need some youth but I prefer a focus on people who are good now and rely on our improving academy to provide the youth.

Our academy (plus maybe a couple of Coleman-esque low-risk gamble signings -- maybe a Stones level signing or two) is enough youth. Our "real money" should go on people who can make us better now.

Trusting the academy (patience) and holding league position is probably our best chance of success. Still a massive long shot I don't deny it but it's the best option.

The domino effect of finishing mid-table could be very, very bad for our club. We could ride out one year but if it keeps happening we're in more trouble than I think most people appreciate.

Martinez has said he wants three or four players bringing in.

He said 'one for each unit' didnt he?

Does that mean keeper, defence, middle and forward to you mate?

If so:
Keeper - Dunno
Defender - Alcaraz
Midfielder - Dunno
Forward - Kone

God I hope the midfielder is ****ing boss!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back