Votes: 690 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 241 23.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 112 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"You all know we're interested. He'd be a quality addition if we did get him in, but there's still a way to go. I believe negotiations are taking place. It'll be a permanent deal, there's no chance of a loan.

"He'd bring experience, pace and his crossing ability from wide areas. He has a 100 goals for Arsenal and he's still only 28. He's proven.

"I don't get optimistic, because then you end up being disappointed."

I'm not usually a fan of talking about players who aren't ours yet, but I guess it's ok this time, as Manuel wotsit has already said Saints are interested too.

Rooney was/is labelled a past it has been. He's still out best player.

Walcott may be a arsenal fringe injury prone player...but is still better than anyone (bar Rooney) in our squad, won trophies, and played at the highest level.

Again, none of the squad bar Rooney have played at his level.

May even actually stop the side bottling big games.

Gylfi is better, like.

But yeh, I'd certainly welcome Walcott.

Do think Lookman needs a loan though, if Walcott does come in. The lad needs game time and to strengthen up a bit. If he can replicate anywhere close to Dowell's form at Forest, it'll be a success.

Also, while I don't think we'll actively look to sell him, isn't Lennon out of contract come summer? May well be the case that we've had an offer in and both parties are interested in it.

Theo has three years left in him at his peak. For around 20m he'd be a great signing. He's head and shoulders above the likes of Bolasie and Lennon. A no brainer if he's prepared to join us.

Would need someone who can play balls in behind for him.

Which Rooney can do, played in a midfield three.

That requires two players around Wayne to do the running though - i.e. Gana and Davies/Gana and McCarthy.

It also means Gylfi has to play wide so we'd need our left back to start using his left foot and actually run past the half-way line so Gylfi can cut in.

We definitely have the players to make it work, just got to use them right.

Although he's generally rubbish, at least Bolasie can push us up the field and take the heat off us when we're under pressure. So want Walcott, but he's not crap. And with those two playing we'd have to have Sigurdsson in the middle, which can only be a good thing. Plus that'd push Rooney deeper, again a good thing. That may also rid us of the axis of evil that is Schneiderlin alongside Gueye, again a good thing. Cenk needs more competition up front, and we'll sign a striker now or in the summer, so that's also good.

Gylfi is better, like.

But yeh, I'd certainly welcome Walcott.

Do think Lookman needs a loan though, if Walcott does come in. The lad needs game time and to strengthen up a bit. If he can replicate anywhere close to Dowell's form at Forest, it'll be a success.

Also, while I don't think we'll actively look to sell him, isn't Lennon out of contract come summer? May well be the case that we've had an offer in and both parties are interested in it.

I'd say 100% that Lennon and Oumar is off and Walcott will cover both of those losses imo

I wouldn't loan Lookman out either, him, Vlasic, Bolasie and Walcott would give us really nice options for both wings plus the majority of them can play through the middle if need be.

I'm not a huge Walcott fan as he flatters to deceive but what he does have is pace and can finish and that gets us up the pitch quicker and makes us more of a threat. So if Lennon and Oumar goes and Walcott comes in return I'll take that.

"You all know we're interested. He'd be a quality addition if we did get him in, but there's still a way to go. I believe negotiations are taking place. It'll be a permanent deal, there's no chance of a loan.

"He'd bring experience, pace and his crossing ability from wide areas. He has a 100 goals for Arsenal and he's still only 28. He's proven.

"I don't get optimistic, because then you end up being disappointed."
He already gets Everton transfer windows....whatta guy!

Looks like he is joining then, I'll get behind him if so but I'm not filled with confidence here.

The sort of signing that a manager makes for the short-term which should IMO, be over-ruled by a functioning DOF on the basis that he will not offer good value for the medium to long-term.

Have to question Sam's judgement on this one.
I agree to an extent, but I think it's worth pointing out that we are - at least in theory - spoilt for choice when it comes to long term attacking options. Lookman, Dowell, DCL, Onyekuru and Vlasic all offer great promise, but none of them are producing the goods for us right now. It actually makes decent sense to me to bring someone in who can do a good job for us in the short/medium term, before making way for the younger lads when they're ready. We've seen with the last crop of promising young players that they won't stay around if you're not progressing, so I don't see the harm in bringing in a few players for short term gains which may lead to long term benefits.

Last edited:
Not to put a dampened on it here but a straight choice between us and Southampton I have a feeling Walcott chooses Southampton if deals are identical.

Small chance of him accepting us over them as we are better placed long term. But can see staying in the south being a big draw for him especially as he has never been further than London his whole career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back