• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Threat of villa

Looks like there spending is over. Be interesting to see how invested Emery is without being able to add to the squad. Surely has be in contention for one the big Spanish jobs soon. It seems like all good Spanish coaches get a stab at the top jobs, unlike here with english coaches

Looks like there spending is over. Be interesting to see how invested Emery is without being able to add to the squad. Surely has be in contention for one the big Spanish jobs soon. It seems like all good Spanish coaches get a stab at the top jobs, unlike here with english coaches
Hope he dont go the RS

I’m sure there’ll be an opening at Celta Vigo shortly.

Who are obviously a big cloob

They hired a genuine world class manager in Emery. World of difference.

Said to sack Lampard an go all out for him when it emerged he was interested in Villa when Gerrard was there.

I hope they get champions league football.
I agree. We were in different position though. For all the reason outlined in the outset, the owners have approached the villa project with benefit of seeing Everton cock things up. They have spent money on players on the up, not on the down, they made the same Gerard - Lampard error, but the difference being on the way out Villa had still had investment left in them and were able to get another world class manager. Everton were a busted flush no manager in their right mind wants to come to a club with no money to invest.

It's gutting to think where we would have been if we had been run in a similar manner for the past decade.

I agree. We were in different position though. For all the reason outlined in the outset, the owners have approached the villa project with benefit of seeing Everton cock things up. They have spent money on players on the up, not on the down, they made the same Gerard - Lampard error, but the difference being on the way out Villa had still had investment left in them and were able to get another world class manager. Everton were a busted flush no manager in their right mind wants to come to a club with no money to invest.

It's gutting to think where we would have been if we had been run in a similar manner for the past decade.

No doubt, but he hasn't spent big money since going there.

1713178674324.webp

... even long before Lampard. 2019;

This thread just shows how short term fan thinking can be.

I was saying to the other moderators the other day we should be speaking to Emery...

He's a top manager, following Wenger was always a big ask and sometimes managers just dont fit certain clubs.

Mad how many thought Emery was well beneath us here;

View attachment 252906

I think at the time we had to take the chance on Ancelotti just because it was so rare that a manager of that stature and medal collection was linked with Everton

If you remember, he was never linked, he just became available out of the blue, after falling out with the nutter who owns Napoli and we went for him.

Kind of amazing that all happened

It feels like a dream, especially as the bulk of Ancelotti's time at the club was spent when supporters couldn't attend games

Just a weird time to be an Everton supporter, and it's been all downhill since

I think at the time we had to take the chance on Ancelotti just because it was so rare that a manager of that stature and medal collection was linked with Everton

No doubt, but at that time Ancelotti was still Napoli manager.

We fumbled around for what seemed an eternity - we were trying for Moyes etc when IMO, we should have went all out for Emery.

But if given a choice between Ancelotti and Emery, it's Ancelotti 100/100.

Kind of amazing that all happened

It feels like a dream, especially as the bulk of Ancelotti's time at the club was spent when supporters couldn't attend games

Just a weird time to be an Everton supporter, and it's been all downhill since
It was great watching Carlo taking zoom calls from fans.
And of course the cool blow on the hot coffee as Everton scored the winner against Spurs.
Highlight of lockdown really.

The way the game is now, I am cynical and pessimistic about the medium to long term chances of any club outside of the Sky 6.

Villa are doing great at the moment and maybe they will continue it for a few years but I still expect them to fall away and the Chelseas and Man Uniteds to sneak their way back ahead again.

If I was a West Ham or Brighton fan i'd be making the most of this relative success at the moment as I expect them both to slip in to the bottom half/be battling relegation soon enough too.

View attachment 252906

Off topic but…

I was looking the other week for old polls of managers we were linked with from abroad, that I had never heard of.

Jorge Jesus being one, but there were scores of them, all flavour of the month when Koeman, Silva, Alardyce, etc were moved on.

Amongst them Emery… but also loads of random names. Be interested to see what became of these managers and whether we missed any gems, all were they like the rest of signing, hyped up wasters

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back