THT's Squad Ratings - Part 4 - Strikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Holy Trinity

Player Valuation: £10m
The final part of my ratings thread so here we go ...

Yakubu

For me the best striker we currently have on our books and one of the best in the Premier League in my opinion. His goalscoring record in England is excellent and although he did not have a great return from injury he still weighed in with 6 goals from probably only about 18 or so starts. He has looked quite good in the World Cup (Yes that miss was one of the worst I've EVER seen) his link up play is good and he's quite an intelligent player. His lack of workrate is a problem with some supporters but ask yourself a question ''what matters more as a striker goals or workrate ??'' for me its goals EVERY time. We had Marcus Bent who ran around like a headless chicken and couldn't hit a Bulls arse with a banjo but somehow had supporters lauding him !! I guess I'm a bit harder to please as I like my strikers to be able to actually play the game and dothe job they are supposed to !!

THT Rating - 8-5 / 10

Louis Saha

This is a tough one for me because I am not really a fan of Louis. He has got undoubted ability i.e. great touch, good in the air, two good feet and can score spectacular goals so why don't I love him ?? I think its his can't be arsed attitude that for me makes the Yak look like Paul Dickov for workrate ! I love my strikers and being a position I used to play I watch them more closely than any other player. Louis's touch can be phenomenal as can his performances when he turns up but when you have that ability I want you to turn up EVERY WEEK not just once every so often. His performances after the Chelsea game were quite simply awful and for me if Moyes is going to keep one up front then I'm afraid Louis ain't the man for me. However, like I said he has great ability and if Moyes could get more performances from him then he could be the difference in tight games.

THT Rating - 8 / 10 (A bit generous but based on his Chelsea performance)

Victor Anichebe

Victor has a lot of potential but again can be a bit lazy when playing as a striker. He has great strength and decent pace but never runs at defenders anywhere near as much as he should. Its a real pity for Victor that Big Dunc ain't still around to teach him how to use his strength to bully defenders a bit more. Victor did turn in some decent performances on the right hand side of midfield towards the end of the season so maybe that's where Moyesie sees his future being ! He's definately one I would keep hold of though for at least another season.

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

James Vaughan

Probably the most unluckiest player at the club ! Whenever James gets a run or gets into some form he manages to pick up an injury. He has great determination and good pace which sometimes makes up for his lack of natural ability although he certainly knows where the goal is. In my opinion, James should look for a change of club as the stigma of him being 'injury prone' will stick with him whilst he is here. I think a move would re-vitalise him and a fresh start would do the kid some good. I do reluctantly think its best for everyone if he moves on especially due to the Beckford and Silva signings.

THT Rating - 5-5 /10 (Due to injuries)

Jermaine Beckford

This is a difficult one to rate for me as I have only seen Jermaine a handful of times. When I have seen him play against Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs he looked a real handful and obviously scored some decent goals too. I'm hoping that with a good pre season behind him and playing with quality such as Arteta, Pienaar (hopefully) , Billy etc it will improve Jermaine further. He is a tall and quick striker and will give us something we don't really have and that is pace to get in behind defenders. If he scores 7-10 goals then its been a good bit of business any more then its another Moyes masterstroke !! This rating is based on what I have seen so far so as I cant really judge may be a bit low !

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

Joao Silva

Simply haven't seen Jaoa other than some youtube videos but I know the club think he could be a player. He's tall and quick with good ability so we'll have to watch this space..

Jose Baxter and Kieran Agard[B] I don't expect to get much of a look in this season so again I can't really rate them other than saying Baxter is comfortable on the ball but a bit slow , Agard is quick !

Anyway, above ratings are my opinion only so lets hear yours......

THT. .. .

Last edited:
Saha has one of the best touches in the Prem, Osman too.

Saha got us out of some [Poor language removed] early in the season, but seemed to have his flip flops on for the 2nd half.

Saha has one of the best touches in the Prem, Osman too.

Saha got us out of some [Poor language removed] early in the season, but seemed to have his flip flops on for the 2nd half.

Can't disagree mate but want him turning up every week and not sulking like a school boy half the time if the ball ain't passed to his feet !

I'd probably agree with the ratings, competition is key really when it comes to Yakubu and Saha, Saha didn't have any for long periods of last season because of Yakubu's lack of sharpness and general fitness, him and Cahill where allowed to take there foot off the gas and strolled through alot of games as first choice players. Hopefully we'll see a a fully fit Yakubu, Beckford, Anichebe and possibly Vaughan all putting pressure on him and challenging for a place.

We have two of the more talented strikers in the League despite what people would have you believe.

so if one of or strikers get 20+ next season its 10/10?? and why are strikers valued so highly in transfer market

Going out on a limb here but I'm expecting a big season from Victor. Yak has a bit to prove after his injury hit season and dodgy World Cup. Hope we get to see more of the best smile in football but if an offer anywhere near 10 million comes in for him I suspect Moyes will offload.

I'd probably agree with the ratings, competition is key really when it comes to Yakubu and Saha, Saha didn't have any for long periods of last season because of Yakubu's lack of sharpness and general fitness, him and Cahill where allowed to take there foot off the gas and strolled through alot of games as first choice players.

Hang on a minute. Saha was in great form when Yakubu was injured. Somewhat perplexingly, as soon as the Yak got his boots on again King Louis did little more than trot around the edge of the penalty box for months on end.

Yakubu

For me the best striker we currently have on our books and one of the best in the Premier League in my opinion. His goalscoring record in England is excellent and although he did not have a great return from injury he still weighed in with 6 goals from probably only about 18 or so starts. He has looked quite good in the World Cup (Yes that miss was one of the worst I've EVER seen) his link up play is good and he's quite an intelligent player. His lack of workrate is a problem with some supporters but ask yourself a question ''what matters more as a striker goals or workrate ??'' for me its goals EVERY time. We had Marcus Bent who ran around like a headless chicken and couldn't hit a Bulls arse with a banjo but somehow had supporters lauding him !! I guess I'm a bit harder to please as I like my strikers to be able to actually play the game and dothe job they are supposed to !!

THT Rating - 8-5 / 10

Louis Saha

This is a tough one for me because I am not really a fan of Louis. He has got undoubted ability i.e. great touch, good in the air, two good feet and can score spectacular goals so why don't I love him ?? I think its his can't be arsed attitude that for me makes the Yak look like Paul Dickov for workrate ! I love my strikers and being a position I used to play I watch them more closely than any other player. Louis's touch can be phenomenal as can his performances when he turns up but when you have that ability I want you to turn up EVERY WEEK not just once every so often. His performances after the Chelsea game were quite simply awful and for me if Moyes is going to keep one up front then I'm afraid Louis ain't the man for me. However, like I said he has great ability and if Moyes could get more performances from him then he could be the difference in tight games.

Victor Anichebe

Victor has a lot of potential but again can be a bit lazy when playing as a striker. He has great strength and decent pace but never runs at defenders anywhere near as much as he should. Its a real pity for Victor that Big Dunc ain't still around to teach him how to use his strength to bully defenders a bit more. Victor did turn in some decent performances on the right hand side of midfield towards the end of the season so maybe that's where Moyesie sees his future being ! He's definately one I would keep hold of though for at least another season.

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

James Vaughan

Probably the most unluckiest player at the club ! Whenever James gets a run or gets into some form he manages to pick up an injury. He has great determination and good pace which sometimes makes up for his lack of natural ability although he certainly knows where the goal is. In my opinion, James should look for a change of club as the stigma of him being 'injury prone' will stick with him whilst he is here. I think a move would re-vitalise him and a fresh start would do the kid some good. I do reluctantly think its best for everyone if he moves on especially due to the Beckford and Silva signings.

Jermaine Beckford

This is a difficult one to rate for me as I have only seen Jermaine a handful of times. When I have seen him play against Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs he looked a real handful and obviously scored some decent goals too. I'm hoping that with a good pre season behind him and playing with quality such as Arteta, Pienaar (hopefully) , Billy etc it will improve Jermaine further. He is a tall and quick striker and will give us something we don't really have and that is pace to get in behind defenders. If he scores 7-10 goals then its been a good bit of business any more then its another Moyes masterstroke !! This rating is based on what I have seen so far so as I cant really judge may be a bit low !

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

Joao Silva

Simply haven't seen Jaoa other than some youtube videos but I know the club think he could be a player. He's tall and quick with good ability so we'll have to watch this space..

Jose Baxter and Kieran Agard[B] I don't expect to get much of a look in this season so again I can't really rate them other than saying Baxter is comfortable on the ball but a bit slow , Agard is quick !

THT. .. .

Pretty much agree with your ratings, although I'm convinced Vaughan could become an 8/10 for us (at least), if he just managed to leave his injuries behind him. Sadly, I'm slowly coming around to the point of realising that will probably never happen.:(

Yakubu

THT Rating - 8-5 / 10

Louis Saha

Victor Anichebe

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

James Vaughan

Jermaine Beckford

THT Rating - 6-5 / 10

Joao Silva

THT. .. .

THT, how's the world for you??

Great shout as always, although I think you may be lettin' your personal feelings cloud your more oblective analysis!

Yak, while my fav of the group too, seems tough to argue had better season than Saha. I would keep him over Louis (assuming he's as old as listed...sorry love the guy but I have to question this). But the frenchman carried us early & had great displays against some big teams during our little run there.

Yak-6.75
Saha-7.5

Vic-played well out on the wing late on. Like this guy, agree he could be a player for us.

THT official (copyright) rating-6.5

Vaughan-poor guy. I was just getting into him (& Everton tbh) before his bad luck. Wish the best for him, but he may have run his course at Goodison.

Tht rating-5.5

I'm not counting others as didn't see them much and/or didn't play for Everton last year. Oh, and there's the Yank pre-game jitters to tend to!

Good stuff though. Hope your summer's bangin' & all that.

-JDZ

I would like to see Baxter get a chance next season, same with Beckford and this new Portuguese kid. I think Vaughan will be sold unfortunately, we barely use him, out on loan a lot and his injury record is kinda bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.