Time to reassess: 71 points won't get us CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get top 4, I'll be incredibly proud of the club. If we end up in 5th or 6th, I'll be incredibly proud of the club and incredibly annoyed at everybody who managed to keep us out of the top 4. We've dropped points, but that is football. This season has been wonderful.

well said

Our next 4 away games after West Brom next week are: Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle. I think this run will make or break our season. If we are still in touch after this we will be in with a great shout.

Barkley's a big miss. We were quite a bit better than them at GP, and they were fortunate we didn't score 5-6 goals that day. Yes Allen missed a sitter, but Mignolet was world class that day.

Osman at Anfield scares me. I hope McGeady drops a few pounds and can play in the midfield with Barry, Mirallas, McCarthy, and Pienaar.
Barkley is a massive miss !! He is such an integral part of our system and how we attack. That RS defence is very poor and is just screaming for players to run at it, something Barkley can not only do, but effectively well.

Not so sure about McGeady being heavy, he looks fine to me. Match fitness though ? No chance he will be ready for a game like this.

Next 2 rounds of fixtures are massive When Liverpool beat Villa and if Ipurs dont win against Swansea, UTD have a tough game away at Chelsea and should we slip up at WBA (new manager buzz) then all of a sudden when we play the RS we should we lose they could open up a 7 point gap for at least 24 hours.

Lots of if but and maybe's but none of the afore mentioned results would be classed as long shots.

With our run of away games I can't see us catching Liverpool now because we can't rely on stunning goals and set pieces to see us through the final 17 games.

I've said all along that what will decide the CL places is the top 7's form against EACH OTHER. Currently, having played all the top 7 once, Everton are SECOND in this mini league, behind Man City.
Does it somewhat hurt your theory that we're second in the mini league but fifth in the real league? We've started well though but as you can see from the real table our ties (and one loss) v. lower table sides has us at the wrong end of the top 7 league despite good form v. the rest of the top 7.
We're 5th in the real table because we've drawn too many games against bottom half of the table teams.
You appear to have countered me with my very own argument. That's my favourite kind of counter ... so you win!

It's impossible to make predictions. Someone in the top 7 HAS to drop points somewhere. There could be a lot of draws. Several teams could lose to nearly ALL of their rivals, or we could all come out of the 6 games against our rivals with everybody taking similar points totals in the 'top seven league.'

Like I say, it's impossible to predict who will take what amount of points from the last 17 games.

Last edited:
All of this is assuming we get 3 points at WBA. But if we do, then this is the biggest Derby in over 25 years.

Bigger than the Cup derby from a couple of years ago? I dont remember much about that day other than Distin's mistake. (began drinking at 730am US time and was finished by 7pm with a $400 bar tab. )

Does that count as a derby since it was a cup tie?

Bigger than the Cup derby from a couple of years ago? I dont remember much about that day other than Distin's mistake. (began drinking at 730am US time and was finished by 7pm with a $400 bar tab. )

Does that count as a derby since it was a cup tie?

Was thinking league Derby to be honest. Hadn't considered the cup. Also I've tried very hard to forget that day even happened.

Liverpool Spurs and Man Utd will all drop a good few points I would think, so if we keep up the good form we'll have a decent chance. However I feel it will be a bridge too far as we rarely finish a game off(Stoke and Fulham at home the only ones we have really)) and end up having to put 100% effort in for the whole 90 mins and in the long run that's going to take its toll on our players, as we have a fairly small squad.

Im gonna say it, to beat them at anfield we needed that CAM to make those driving runs and open them up, barks did that perfectly against Utd, Arsenal and the derby at goodison, Osman wont do that and will stifle our play, gonna have to rely on the wingers to play a blinder

We don't need to worry about anyone else but ourselves. If we play our game and keep our heads down, we'll do special things.

4th is still a very realistic goal. Teams around us will drop points, but if we keep chugging along we'll sneak in.

I'd be happy with Europa come the end of this season. I was expecting a run of the mill 7th/8th finish while Berto got settled but expectations change.

Let's take care of WBA first before we set our crosshairs on Liverpool. 3 pts next is the most important thing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back