Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely disagree with the rule for the sake of consistency. How can Alexander-Arnold block the ball with his hand in the box to stop City having a golden chance at the back post but Rice be punished for something more accidental last night?

Also, if you can't score after an accidental handball then why does the game carry on? It completely defeats the object of football. Rather than trying to score a goal Rice would have been better off smashing it out of play for a throw in and getting back in position.
Well the AA one was a handball so that's probably a bad example because that should have been called.

If Rice doesn't block it with his arm that ball goes clear. Accident or not the goal can't happen if he doesn't use his arm. The referee missed it and VAR caught it. Really that should be a celebration of VAR.

Another problem is how this law is being implemented. At best I thought it was being brought in for people who bundle it over the line with their hand. Now I'm not sure if a goal stands after a free flowing 10 pass move from one box to the other, if said move starts with an opposition attacker smashing it against a defender's arm from two yards away. I'll bet the referees don't know either.

Like I keep saying, despite the billions in football, why are there such thick people in charge of the frame. Obviously this is very unlikely, but what if the ball stayed in play for a full 45 minutes and someone scored in stoppage time, but they find out someone handled the ball 45 minutes earlier, straight from the kick off. Surely the goal has to be disallowed? Would they do a var check going back over the whole 45 minutes, if not why not? That's the rule.

What do they do then? Blow up for half time? That means that whole half of football was a waste of time because any goal within that time would have been ruled out.

Now, if I was sat in the room with those making the rule, they'd have laughed at me and said "that would never happen". So I would say, what, like in 2005 when you thought it was impossible for a team to win the champions league but not actually qualify for the next year?

It's another role introduced by football where they haven't actually thought it through, they haven't thought of every impact. I have an analytical job, it's pretty much common sense that you evaluate all probabilities and eventualities of something before implementing it. You wouldn't see a law like this passed in government because there's so many what ifs, buts and maybes.

It's stupid that people are saying West ham could have won a corner and scored from that and that would have been fine because it was "a different phase of play". We saw v Newcastle how much of a joke the setup is. Technology is far from the problem with VAR.

Like I keep saying, despite the billions in football, why are there such thick people in charge of the frame. Obviously this is very unlikely, but what if the ball stayed in play for a full 45 minutes and someone scored in stoppage time, but they find out someone handled the ball 45 minutes earlier, straight from the kick off. Surely the goal has to be disallowed? Would they do a var check going back over the whole 45 minutes, if not why not? That's the rule.

What do they do then? Blow up for half time? That means that whole half of football was a waste of time because any goal within that time would have been ruled out.

Now, if I was sat in the room with those making the rule, they'd have laughed at me and said "that would never happen". So I would say, what, like in 2005 when you thought it was impossible for a team to win the champions league but not actually qualify for the next year?

It's another role introduced by football where they haven't actually thought it through, they haven't thought of every impact. I have an analytical job, it's pretty much common sense that you evaluate all probabilities and eventualities of something before implementing it. You wouldn't see a law like this passed in government because there's so many what ifs, buts and maybes.

It's stupid that people are saying West ham could have won a corner and scored from that and that would have been fine because it was "a different phase of play". We saw v Newcastle how much of a joke the setup is. Technology is far from the problem with VAR.
I really don't get why the ball has to go out for a review when the on field referee is not involved with the review. Just have the tit in London decide and tell the ref. If the ball is still in and something needs to change he can simply blow the whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back