Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean obviously there’s more to it than that but in general that’s how you look to play. You certainly don’t try to play through the press and mess about at the back like we do anyway!

I genuinely think that the way Solskjaer set up today, 5-4-1, is the absolute best way to play against them. It limits their effectiveness and gives you the best chance of success by some distance. It's also very similar to how we set up against them in the 5-2 defeat under MS.

5 at the back, which gives Mane and Salah much less space to work in. You also have the extra man to pack the midfield, which limits space in between the lines, which is where Firmino drops (didn't get much of a sniff today). It also allows you to push your full backs wider, which limits the space on the flanks for Alexander-Arnold and Robertson (both didn't do much today). So you almost nullify a few of their biggest attacking threats. That's about as good as you can hope for, from a tactical point of view.

Then it boils down to winning your individual battles on the pitch, namely against the likes of Henderson, Chamberlain and Wijnaldum who are tigrish, and your own players not making mistakes. United made one today on the set piece, we made one with the early Origi goal. Against any top, top side, the 1st goal is so important as it changes everything. If you can keep it 0-0 for long enough and take your chances either on the counter-attack or from set-pieces, then you've always got a chance of nicking something.

City aren’t a million miles off where they were last year though. Prior to this weekends fixtures, I think they’d only lost one more than they had at this stage last season.

It’s not been a poor performance from City, it’s been unprecedented consistency from a great side that were excellent last season too, and will probably break a few more records this season.

I don’t think anyone can really argue that City have been ‘bad’ because they will still likely clear 85-90 points which is often enough to be champions.

City need to go and spend big yet again on 3 or 4 players because they need a couple of CB’s and a couple of CM’s as it stands, perhaps even a replacement for Sane if he goes to Bayern.

I’m not sure Pep stays either to be honest, give it another 12 months max as there are already grumbles coming out, which will set them back even further.

City have gone backwards , understandable to an extent but Peps arrogance has got them in this situation, £55m for Cancelo when they were desperate for a CB.

I accepted on boxing day.

If you haven't accepted it by now then you're just deluding yourself.

Theres nothing we can do other than make sure they dont go unbeaten.

Roll on next season and the Carlo surge.

It's been over for ages. A total car crash of a season.

A couple of weeks of NFL to go and then I can switch sport off completely until August.

A solid detox period.

I genuinely think that the way Solskjaer set up today, 5-4-1, is the absolute best way to play against them. It limits their effectiveness and gives you the best chance of success by some distance. It's also very similar to how we set up against them in the 5-2 defeat under MS.

5 at the back, which gives Mane and Salah much less space to work in. You also have the extra man to pack the midfield, which limits space in between the lines, which is where Firmino drops (didn't get much of a sniff today). It also allows you to push your full backs wider, which limits the space on the flanks for Alexander-Arnold and Robertson (both didn't do much today). So you almost nullify a few of their biggest attacking threats. That's about as good as you can hope for, from a tactical point of view.

Then it boils down to winning your individual battles on the pitch, namely against the likes of Henderson, Chamberlain and Wijnaldum who are tigrish, and your own players not making mistakes. United made one today on the set piece, we made one with the early Origi goal. Against any top, top side, the 1st goal is so important as it changes everything. If you can keep it 0-0 for long enough and take your chances either on the counter-attack or from set-pieces, then you've always got a chance of nicking something.
Can’t disagree with any of that if I’m honest. I think United have a serious lack of quality and pure mercenaries too. We should be wary of becoming them

This is all Chelsa’s fault. To think they had De Bruyne and Salah on their books and let them go for relative peanuts.

Booo, Chelsea

The league really has been a joke this season, hasn't it? the reds have absolutely sleepwalked to it after 30 years of squat because every other team just seemingly couldn't be that arsed. Bit like when Leicester won it a few years ago.

Mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back