Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but you can 100% prove very quickly that the attacker is almost certainly either onside or not offside enough for the eye to detect it without technology. We shouldn't be using microscopes, AI and tonnes of camera angles to prove a player is 0.1mm offside.
The problem is if the camera isn't exactly in line than the angle throws off what you're actually seeing with your eyes. That's why the technology is used. I don't think having a camera down every inch of the touchline is more practical.

The problem is if the camera isn't exactly in line than the angle throws off what you're actually seeing with your eyes. That's why the technology is used. I don't think having a camera down every inch of the touchline is more practical.
That's why my suggestion would work. It needs flipping around completely; right now if there is doubt or if it's too close to call (i.e. literally millimeters according to VAR even though it's proven that the technology isn't accurate to the millimeter) then it's given offside. It needs to be the other way, given the technology is not perfect and never will be. Benefit of doubt to the striker.

That's why my suggestion would work. It needs flipping around completely; right now if there is doubt or if it's too close to call (i.e. literally millimeters according to VAR even though it's proven that the technology isn't accurate to the millimeter) then it's given offside. It needs to be the other way, given the technology is not perfect and never will be. Benefit of doubt to the striker.
Ok but what's the line for margin of error? And if the decision is then only a few millimeters beyond aren't we left with the same problem? Still complaining over millimeters it's just different ones.

I think the technology is way better than people realize. The biggest problem revolves around using normal cameras to pick which frame the ball is played at. The actual measurements using the lines are pretty damn accurate.

Ok but what's the line for margin of error? And if the decision is then only a few millimeters beyond aren't we left with the same problem? Still complaining over millimeters it's just different ones.

I think the technology is way better than people realize. The biggest problem revolves around using normal cameras to pick which frame the ball is played at. The actual measurements using the lines are pretty damn accurate.
There is no margin of error. It's one of two outcomes:

The technology shows an obvious offside as every part of the attacker's body is closer to the goal than the defender.

The technology is unable to conclusively and quickly prove the entire body is closer, thus, the benefit of the doubt is awarded to the attacking player.

Call it the daylight rule if you will. And again, if it's not clear whether it's offside or not, then it isn't offside - that's how it used to be until officials got so used to selectively ignoring obvious offsides for their favourite teams.

There is no margin of error. It's one of two outcomes:

The technology shows an obvious offside as every part of the attacker's body is closer to the goal than the defender.

The technology is unable to conclusively and quickly prove the entire body is closer, thus, the benefit of the doubt is awarded to the attacking player.

Call it the daylight rule if you will. And again, if it's not clear whether it's offside or not, then it isn't offside - that's how it used to be until officials got so used to selectively ignoring obvious offsides for their favourite teams.
But all you've done is simply moved the goal posts from is it offside to is it clearly offside. They'll be occassions where it is close between whatever the definition of clearly is and we will be right back to slim margins.

The fact of the matter is if you're keeping the same spirit of the offside rule in place than close calls have to exist. Their is no way to legislate them 100% out. So we can either use technology and accept it is correct even on super fine margins or go back to the ridiculous randomness of linesman doing it in real time.

But all you've done is simply moved the goal posts from is it offside to is it clearly offside. They'll be occassions where it is close between whatever the definition of clearly is and we will be right back to slim margins.

The fact of the matter is if you're keeping the same spirit of the offside rule in place than close calls have to exist. Their is no way to legislate them 100% out. So we can either use technology and accept it is correct even on super fine margins or go back to the ridiculous randomness of linesman doing it in real time.
I get you mate, you make very valid points.

It just seems ridiculous that we have all this insane technology but something that ought to be easy to fix like offsides still causes so much trouble.

They have every angle possible, they have time to analyse it during the game, they have on and off-field referees, ffs get it sorted. Sooner or later this is going to cost a team their place in the division, that's for sure.

I get you mate, you make very valid points.

It just seems ridiculous that we have all this insane technology but something that ought to be easy to fix like offsides still causes so much trouble.

They have every angle possible, they have time to analyse it during the game, they have on and off-field referees, ffs get it sorted. Sooner or later this is going to cost a team their place in the division, that's for sure.
I think it is sorted people just don't like it when a goal gets taken off for something so tight. Maybe I just trust the tech more than most.

The other thing is while everyone seems to think this costs teams goals, the linesman not putting up their flags for close ones that end up counting are surely goals gained that can't really be quantified as it is impossible to know when the linesman would have inaccurately flagged.

I think it is sorted people just don't like it when a goal gets taken off for something so tight. Maybe I just trust the tech more than most.

The other thing is while everyone seems to think this costs teams goals, the linesman not putting up their flags for close ones that end up counting are surely goals gained that can't really be quantified as it is impossible to know when the linesman would have inaccurately flagged.
It's just the rules are wrong mate. The technology is correctly chalking off goals, but to give an offside because 1mm of your body is 'offside' is insane. I don't mind rules changing, but in this case I am so strongly against this new implementation of the offside rule it's taken away a lot of the enjoyment of the game for me. Then the whole BS with arms in unnatural positions, defenders "not having enough time" to move their arms, making "movement" towards the ball, etc. It's all pathetic, bring back Graham kin Poll and Collina.

I think the CL nerves will get to them tonight. No Son & Kane for them, no Upamecano for the Bulls. Should be a good game.

However, if it wasn't tonight I'd be watching Atalanta vs Valencia as I reckon that'll be class.

Yeah not expecting much with Spurs having no strikers at all, plus they are a bit poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back