Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

I haven't heard of it, so if there is a competition of that kind it can't be doing that well!
I might be wrong but sure it was called the Irn Bru cup,I watched a bit of TNS v St Mirren or some one,it wasnt any big clubs in it and it was a very poor standard like a step up from pub footie

I might be wrong but sure it was called the Irn Bru cup,I watched a bit of TNS v St Mirren or some one,it wasnt any big clubs in it and it was a very poor standard like a step up from pub footie

You are right. 2 teams from the other countries by invitation. No wonder the champions league is getting worried and looking for fresh impetus! :p

The Championship is a good representation of football in general like do well enough and be top of the pops then you’ll leave the league at the end of the season goes for 99% of players playing in football clubs.

Jamie Carragher meets Carlo Ancelotti: 'I'm not here for one last payday – I'm going to take Everton into the Champions League'
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti welcomes Jamie Carragher to the Finch Farm training ground
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti welcomes Jamie Carragher to the Finch Farm training ground
  • Jamie Carragher
6 MARCH 2020 • 1:15

My allegiance to Everton ended over 25 years ago, but there is a moment during an hour with Carlo Ancelotti when the heart of the schoolboy within me beats faster.

“Next season we have to qualify for the Champions League,” Ancelotti tells me. “I am here for this.”
I pause. I have not heard an Everton manager speak like this since I stood on the Gwladys Street.
“Is that really possible given the strength of the competition?” I ask.
“I am sure this club has that ambition,” he insists.
“The owner wants to be at the top. That is for sure. The idea is clear. I do not know how long it will take, but it will not take long. The spine of the squad is competitive. I do not know what the target will be this season, but next season we have to fight for the top four.”
I tell Ancelotti how invigorating it will be for fans to hear a coach of his calibre talk so boldly.
“Do you realise how many Evertonians loved seeing you get sent off at the end of the game against Manchester United last week?” I ask.
Ancelotti sounds surprised.
“You think the fans like it because I got the red card? That is why they clapped me?”
“Yes. They want to feel the manager is out there fighting for them,” I reply, sensing an opportunity to ask the most blunt question.
“When it was first said Carlo Ancelotti might come to Everton, people said you must only be coming for a final payday.”
He laughs.
“No, no, no. Fortunately, I do not need the money,” he says.
“I see Everton like I saw Napoli. It was fantastic to be in Milan, Madrid and Munich, but sometimes you get the possibility to grow a good project. We have young players with quality players like Richarlison, [Dominic] Calvert-Lewin, [Mason] Holgate and [Lucas] Digne. The base of the team is good. Holgate signed a new contract and Dominic is going to [later confirmed on Friday evening]. We have a spine and want to improve the squad in the summer.”
Ancelotti has spent his decorated career in Europe’s most exotic cities Rome, Milan, Paris and Madrid. Today, in the office at Everton’s Finch Farm training ground he already calls home, he could be mistaken as a spokesman for Merseyside tourism.

Continued below

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back