Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retiring? Look at all the great managers at club level who couldn't hack it with international teams.

It takes a very good manager and coach to hold together (and make better as a team) a clutch of gifted individuals. Roberto has that. FFS he even made Moyes' yard dogs the best football side in the PL before the Everton Anarcho-Syndicalist tendency revolted against having to pass the ball accurately.

The best side?

Could have sworn we came fifth that year

Or the hammering at Anfield

We were good and I enjoyed that year a lot but we were the best side????

Ffs lol

We also spawned loads of wins. Cardiff at home we were absolutely terrible and Coleman shinned one in in the 94th minute, off the top of my head I remember Villa at home, West Ham at home, West Brom away, Hull at home and Palace away being absolutely atrocious performances that we ended up scraping results in. It’s a myth we ripped everyone to pieces that season.

We also spawned loads of wins. Cardiff at home we were absolutely terrible and Coleman shinned one in in the 94th minute, off the top of my head I remember Villa at home, West Brom away, Hull at home and Palace away being absolutely atrocious performances that we ended up scraping results in. It’s a myth we ripped everyone to pieces that season.

Well maybe yeah, but I do see that as a sign of a good side. Good teams win late on loads. We came from behind loads that year but went like 2 years without a win from behind recently

That season looks better than it probably was because of how terrible we've been since. But it was a lot of fun and I genuinely thought we would kick on. Sadly it was not to be...

Well maybe yeah, but I do see that as a sign of a good side. Good teams win late on loads. We came from behind loads that year but went like 2 years without a win from behind recently

That season looks better than it probably was because of how terrible we've been since. But it was a lot of fun and I genuinely thought we would kick on. Sadly it was not to be...

It’s the sign of a good side if you do it consistently. If it happens for a one-off short period of time then it’s probably luck.

That side was undoubtedly a better team than this current side. But we were definitely lucky that season as well.

I really do hope Dave meant that it was one of Everton's best sides in Premier League rather than the best Premier League that year.
I meant that in terms of playing good quality football that we were the best in the league in that season. Liverpool's kick and run style had just been introduced by Rodgers (which they still retain under Klopp) and it unbelievably got the plaudits when Everton's style under Martinez: playing through teams at home and playing a rapid counter attack away from home, was the real deal. Arsenal were still a decent team in 2013/14 and we went to the Emirates and bossed them in their own back yard...for example.

There's no point in arguing: when Martinez could get the attention of even a limited bunch of players as Moyes' team, he turned out football from them that matched on occasion the great team of the 80s. That's not been seen since.

He's an inventive coach who plays football the right way. He just couldn't adapt here to players who, ultimatley, couldn't progress from their own limitations.

I meant that in terms of playing good quality football that we were the best in the league in that season. Liverpool's kick and run style had just been introduced by Rodgers (which they still retain under Klopp) and it unbelievably got the plaudits when Everton's style under Martinez: playing through teams at home and playing a rapid counter attack away from home, was the real deal. Arsenal were still a decent team in 2013/14 and we went to the Emirates and bossed them in their own back yard...for example.

There's no point in arguing: when Martinez could get the attention of even a limited bunch of players as Moyes' team, he turned out football from them that matched on occasion the great team of the 80s. That's not been seen since.

He's an inventive coach who plays football the right way. He just couldn't adapt here to players who, ultimatley, couldn't progress from their own limitations.
He also took his team and his players to mid table and had us playing the worst football in the league following that.

The damage done by Martinez is still shown today.

He was sacked for being bad at his job. Nothing really else to say about that.

He also took his team and his players to mid table and had us playing the worst football in the league following that.

The damage done by Martinez is still shown today.

He was sacked for being bad at his job. Nothing really else to say about that.
You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

Today marks the day Alan Stubbs had a statue built in his image as his Hibs team won their first trophy in 114 years. Scenes

Today marks the day Alan Stubbs had a statue built in his image as his Hibs team won their first trophy in 114 years. Scenes

Great achievement but was just first time they'd won the Scottish Cup in 114 years! They'd won the league cup a few years previously and a few leagues back in the day

Usually @Wizard ’s bag this in the kit threads but this kit is getting huge amounts of hate but I think it’s brilliant. Love a bit of Paisley myself:

B61233B7-912A-476E-BC83-905F7A771082.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back