Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen the Watford pen. What a joke lol. Game is truly going down hill with these shocking referees.
I don't understand the reaction to that decision. Kicking a guy in the shin is a foul. It just is. The only weird thing is that referees often let those go in the box, not that doing that is right, and VAR is left deciding between giving something that's a foul and not giving it because typically you don't get penalties for that. But no the decision was not blatantly wrong and imo they ultimately were right to give it because you can't kick players when they're dribbling past you.

I don't understand the reaction to that decision. Kicking a guy in the shin is a foul. It just is. The only weird thing is that referees often let those go in the box, not that doing that is right, and VAR is left deciding between giving something that's a foul and not giving it because typically you don't get penalties for that. But no the decision was not blatantly wrong and imo they ultimately were right to give it because you can't kick players when they're dribbling past you.
Shock horror you thought it was a pen. If that's a pen then you are blowing up every second of a game. He has barely touched him and thrown himself to the ground. It's a contact sport. Game is a joke now.

Shock horror you thought it was a pen. If that's a pen then you are blowing up every second of a game. He has barely touched him and thrown himself to the ground. It's a contact sport. Game is a joke now.
Contact between players bodies is fine. Shoulder to shoulder, shielding the ball, whatever all fine. Kicking players isn't. Doesn't really matter that it wasn't enough to knock him over.

If that's ok where is the line for kicking people drawn at?

Contact between players bodies is fine. Shoulder to shoulder, shielding the ball, whatever all fine. Kicking players isn't. Doesn't really matter that it wasn't enough to knock him over.

If that's ok where is the line for kicking people drawn at?
Not even going to bother offering you up a response mate to be honest if you think that's a pen.

Not even going to bother offering you up a response mate to be honest if you think that's a pen.
Last thing on this but you've said game is going downhill and I'll admit I'm relatively new to football, really only watched consistently since the 2010 World Cup, but was there a point in time where all the pulling, grabbing and impeding of players was allowed? Because the limited clips of games I've seen from the 80s and 90s don't seem to have all that. Am I just missing it? And was it really better that way?

Last thing on this but you've said game is going downhill and I'll admit I'm relatively new to football, really only watched consistently since the 2010 World Cup, but was there a point in time where all the pulling, grabbing and impeding of players was allowed? Because the limited clips of games I've seen from the 80s and 90s don't seem to have all that. Am I just missing it? And was it really better that way?
Literally now you touch someone slightly and they throw themselves to the ground and they get a free kick or pen. It used to be a contact sport now it isn't. Del could have easily stayed up there but went down. People are bored of the shocking decisions even with VAR. I used to watch every live game, this season I have only really watched us as can't even be bothered.

Literally now you touch someone slightly and they throw themselves to the ground and they get a free kick or pen. It used to be a contact sport now it isn't. Del could have easily stayed up there but went down. People are bored of the shocking decisions even with VAR. I used to watch every live game, this season I have only really watched us as can't even be bothered.
I guess I follow that. I just think in the past players used to not blatantly foul as often. The ideal situation for me with that Del play is Jorginho realizing he is beaten and knowing that he can't get away with trying to impede him and just letting the play conclude with Deulofeu trying to create a goal.

I also find myself watching less games than before. I think the problem I have now is the results at the top are so predictable and the rest of the table feels like it isn't worthwhile. The money means that no one is really building toward anything aside from maybe one team here or there. It's starting to feel like every weekend is two meaningful games and 8 exhibitions.

VAR is killing football. Players & fans can’t celebrate as everything is reviewed. It was brought in for “clear & obvious errors”, not margin offsides for an armpit or a feather touch in the penalty box.

Also, to hell with that absolute shower with literally everything going their way this season.

VAR is killing football. Players & fans can’t celebrate as everything is reviewed. It was brought in for “clear & obvious errors”, not margin offsides for an armpit or a feather touch in the penalty box.

Also, to hell with that absolute shower with literally everything going their way this season.
To be fair I agree with both the decisions in the villa game today.
Right or wrong the linesman and ref made the decisions, the replays showed that there wasn't a clear and obvious error so stayed with the infield refs decision.
Ideally the pen against Brighton should have been the same for us, not a clear and obvious error so the refs original decision of a goal kick would have stayed and we'd likely be 3 points better off

Still can't understand how they can run around non stop for 90 minutes week in week out without getting injuries.

This is the only bit of hope I'm clinging too.... Surely they can't keep this energy up for another full season, they HAVE to tire surely, they have to pick up injuries....City are the better team, the better squad, but every other team seems spineless against Liverpool...
Next Sunday is basically a cup final, City can't afford to lose..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back