Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
VAR is shocking,but when you have the most shocking refs in the top 5 leagues that never got picked for the last World Cup then VAR is going to be a disaster with them running it.

Today looked farcical with Atkinson and those lines trying to convince himself it was offside, the last few weekends have shown serious flaws in VAR.

Something has to give because I can see a team losing losing PL status come the end of the season in the last few games on a bad VAR decision.

Plenty of problems with VAR. It works so much better in rugby and cricket because I feel like those decisions are so much more clear cut. You're either out or it's a try. With football, you have decisions like the penalty given against us last week which could be argued about all day long.

Even offside which is a matter of fact doesn't seem to work. Did anyone really mind that someone was a toe nail offside and scored? The decisions that frustrated fans were when someone was a couple of yards off and went on to score.

The fact we've got fans in the stadium who paid £50 for a ticket not having a clue what is going on is a complete disgrace too and typical of the general contempt they've been held in down the years.

I don't understand the reaction to that decision. Kicking a guy in the shin is a foul. It just is. The only weird thing is that referees often let those go in the box, not that doing that is right, and VAR is left deciding between giving something that's a foul and not giving it because typically you don't get penalties for that. But no the decision was not blatantly wrong and imo they ultimately were right to give it because you can't kick players when they're dribbling past you.

But he doesn’t ‘kick’ him in the shin does he. I don’t think he’d have even felt it. Plus he stayed up after he ‘kicked me him before deciding nah I’ll fall over.

Please revoke all future penalty opinions after that.

Recorded MOTD lst night.
Just watched it.
RS winner. A Villa player on the post(s) would have cleared Mane's header easily, and Villa would have got the point they at least deserved. But hey, these Managers are tactical geniuses...

Plenty of problems with VAR. It works so much better in rugby and cricket because I feel like those decisions are so much more clear cut. You're either out or it's a try. With football, you have decisions like the penalty given against us last week which could be argued about all day long.

Even offside which is a matter of fact doesn't seem to work. Did anyone really mind that someone was a toe nail offside and scored? The decisions that frustrated fans were when someone was a couple of yards off and went on to score.

The fact we've got fans in the stadium who paid £50 for a ticket not having a clue what is going on is a complete disgrace too and typical of the general contempt they've been held in down the years.

La Liga don't seem to have many if any problems with VAR, but then they don't have the standard of refs the premier league have. The premier league has always, always had a problem with the standard of refs officiating the game. Each and every week there is a talking point, a controversial decision and its been this way since mid to late 90's.

When the refs are constantly the talking point each week you know you've got serious problems. Its never been corrected for decades and now as others have said; VAR is just an additional tool that can be used to get the correct outcome of a game should need be, and combine that with the atrocious standard of refs that have plagued the premier league for decades and you've got what we see today.........

It saddens me that the younger generation, kids 8 -16 years old don't know any different and have known the bog standard officiating in this league. When I was a kid the ref barely ever got a mention, hell you wouldn't even know his name unless you actually went looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back