Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always thought it was the linesman’s call for off-side so the whistle should have blown. Just relying on VAR now, so unless Shelley was miles onside (haven’t seen it) then it’s surely not a clear and obvious error on the linesman’s part. Then again I just don’t know the rules anymore

The lino flagged for Carroll's flick on. Shelvey ran through and everyone stopped, even the keeper. Shelvey just kinda kicked the ball into the goal even thinking its offside.

Ref blew for offside. VAR reviewed it. Carroll was onside (what that means now I dont know cos it was barley on) and gave the goal.

unless i am blind,i dont even get why the linesman put flag up,does not look close to me,number 12 or what ever number it is looks to be playing him miles on

unless i am blind,i dont even get why the linesman put flag up,does not look close to me,number 12 or what ever number it is looks to be playing him miles on

Regardless, flag goes up, ref should whistle for offside. There's no way a ref can confidently know if he was onside/offside from the position he was in. If he can then he's a wizard and we don't need linesmen anymore.

Regardless, flag goes up, ref should whistle for offside. There's no way a ref can confidently know if he was onside/offside from the position he was in. If he can then he's a wizard and we don't need linesmen anymore.

"Clear and obvious error"

Being onside/offside by a mm is not clear and obvious because it takes Microsoft Paint and 7 cameras to see its an error.

Don’t the flags have a button or some sensor thing on to give ref notification of the infringement ? Plus they are straight onto the headsets.

The lino flagged for Carroll's flick on. Shelvey ran through and everyone stopped, even the keeper. Shelvey just kinda kicked the ball into the goal even thinking its offside.

Ref blew for offside. VAR reviewed it. Carroll was onside (what that means now I dont know cos it was barley on) and gave the goal.
Just watched it Kenada. Not a clear error by the Lino

I’ve always thought it was the linesman’s call for off-side so the whistle should have blown. Just relying on VAR now, so unless Shelley was miles onside (haven’t seen it) then it’s surely not a clear and obvious error on the linesman’s part. Then again I just don’t know the rules anymore

OFFSIDE
These are the decisions that VAR should find easiest to clear up: inside, outside; onside, offside. Right, wrong; yes, no; black, white.
Yet as we that is not always the case.

And there is room for confusion to arise.
In the champions league linesman are instructed to keep their flags down on marginal offside calls and allow play to continue. If a goal is scored, VAR will check it anyway.

Keeping the flag down avoids the awkward scenario of a linesman giving an offside, the referee stopping play, thus ending the attacking team's chance to score, only to find out that the player was onside after all.

In the Premier League, it will be slightly different. It is not the linesmen who have to keep their flags down, but the referees who are told to refrain from blowing their whistle until the attack is over.

OFFSIDE
These are the decisions that VAR should find easiest to clear up: inside, outside; onside, offside. Right, wrong; yes, no; black, white.
Yet as we that is not always the case.

And there is room for confusion to arise.
In the champions league linesman are instructed to keep their flags down on marginal offside calls and allow play to continue. If a goal is scored, VAR will check it anyway.

Keeping the flag down avoids the awkward scenario of a linesman giving an offside, the referee stopping play, thus ending the attacking team's chance to score, only to find out that the player was onside after all.

In the Premier League, it will be slightly different. It is not the linesmen who have to keep their flags down, but the referees who are told to refrain from blowing their whistle until the attack is over.
Cheers Lou, but once again the Prem have got it wrong, because these players have associated a flag with a whistle for years and instinct is for the game to be stopped. Riley wanting to be “different”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back