Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said it was, but Ronaldo done it more leagues/done well at Internationals etc and that to me proves how good he is, been said number of times as well,2 great players and we live as said in a lifetime to see both
This hints at Ronaldo won a tournament and Messi didn't but really they've both been great international footballers too. Nothing to separate there.

This hints at Ronaldo won a tournament and Messi didn't but really they've both been great international footballers too. Nothing to separate there.
Never thought anything that way myself as i pretty much hate International footy,but ive always thought that Ronaldo has more goals at Internationls,no idea though either

Never thought anything that way myself as i pretty much hate International footy,but ive always thought that Ronaldo has more goals at Internationls,no idea though either
He does but in significantly more games too. Also important to consider is that in Europe you get to play some basically amateur outfits in qualifying. 2018 qualifying saw him really pad his stats against the likes of Andorra and the Faroe Islands.

Not trying to take away from him, but I just think people try to go down that avenue in the eternal Messi v Ronaldo debut and I don't really think there is anything there. Both are phenomenal at all levels.

Fortunate in my lifetime to have seen three of the greats of the game. Maradona (what a player he would be in the modern game with the protection the players receive) Messi and of course Ronaldo. Maradona with his cheating and subsequent substance abuse has tarnished his image. It really is hard to separate Messi and Ronaldo. Messi is a complete player and more a team player then Ronaldo despite possessing more infidividual skill. However due to Ronaldo doing it in the three major leagues - PL, La Liga and Serie A and winning a major tournament with Portugal, I give him the nod.......just.

Fortunate in my lifetime to have seen three of the greats of the game. Maradona (what a player he would be in the modern game with the protection the players receive) Messi and of course Ronaldo. Maradona with his cheating and subsequent substance abuse has tarnished his image. It really is hard to separate Messi and Ronaldo. Messi is a complete player and more a team player then Ronaldo despite possessing more infidividual skill. However due to Ronaldo doing it in the three major leagues - PL, La Liga and Serie A and winning a major tournament with Portugal, I give him the nod.......just.

For me Ronaldinho was up there with Maradona - the most under rated player in modern history imo.

Lad had el magico in his boots.

As I said, I don't really get the multiple leagues argument. Like I don't see why it matters unless you don't think La Liga is a good league.

The major tournament thing is complete silliness though. Messi loses multiple finals on penalties and loses the World Cup because no one on his team can finish, but that's a stick to beat him with because Ronaldo got injured in the first half of a final and had his team finish the job. Nah not for me.

My thing is always that Messi has simultaneously been the best goal scorer and creator in the world. No one else has ever done that. It's absurd that it was possible and he maintained it for a long time. Maradona was the best creator, Ronaldo the best goal scorer, but neither ever did both I don't think.

For me Ronaldinho was up there with Maradona - the most under rated player in modern history imo.

Lad had el magico in his boots.
Fair point. But Maradona single handedly won the title with Napoli (theIr only success I remember) and of course those who witnessed his outstanding displays in the 86 World Cup (not just the England game) to help an average Argentina side to victory, gives him the edge over Ronaldinho.

As I said, I don't really get the multiple leagues argument. Like I don't see why it matters unless you don't think La Liga is a good league.

The major tournament thing is complete silliness though. Messi loses multiple finals on penalties and loses the World Cup because no one on his team can finish, but that's a stick to beat him with because Ronaldo got injured in the first half of a final and had his team finish the job. Nah not for me.

My thing is always that Messi has simultaneously been the best goal scorer and creator in the world. No one else has ever done that. It's absurd that it was possible and he maintained it for a long time. Maradona was the best creator, Ronaldo the best goal scorer, but neither ever did both I don't think.
I’m not saying it’s a stick to beat Messi with. I just think Ronaldo has had more an impact at international level then Messi, even though out of all three players I mentioned I enjoy watching Messi the most.

I’m not saying it’s a stick to beat Messi with. I just think Ronaldo has had more an impact at international level then Messi, even though out of all three players I mentioned I enjoy watching Messi the most.
That's fine, I disagree, and I also don't think "Ronaldo has a trophy at international level" is really justification for that stance either since the circumstances that lead to that aren't really down to them as individuals.

Fair point. But Maradona single handedly won the title with Napoli (theIr only success I remember) and of course those who witnessed his outstanding displays in the 86 World Cup (not just the England game) to help an average Argentina side to victory, gives him the edge over Ronaldinho.

Only reason why I rate Ronaldinho so highly is that whilst he was a fantastic player in terms of output he also put on a show for the fans - I remember watching an interview with him where he said something like winning is the aim but if you can do it putting on a performance the fans will never forget you.

Some of the stuff he could do with a football I've never seen before including from the likes of Ronaldo & Messi.

That's fine, I disagree, and I also don't think "Ronaldo has a trophy at international level" is really justification for that stance either since the circumstances that lead to that aren't really down to them as individuals.
Messi 70 goals in 138 games
Ronaldo 99 goals in 164 games. Both outstanding international records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back