Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
its often cited in articles on the final. Makes sense, as he marked Zidane out of the final and set up the first goal.
What articles? I had a look on UEFA and there’s nothing on Lambert. Was this an ITV motm award?

He made an important contribution (and it was his reverse cross into the box which Rieldle controlled with his chest and buried for his first goal), but I think it’s been overblown by people from here. “Marking him out of the game”...Zidane hit the post, and he wasn’t a prolific scorer either (2 goals in Europe, 7 in total). I think it’s revisionist because of the player Zidane later became.

When Roy Keane grabbed United by the scruff of the neck in the CL semi at Juve it well documented at the time, I recall nothing on Lambert in the CL final, and I vividly remember that game.

What articles? I had a look on UEFA and there’s nothing on Lambert. Was this an ITV motm award?

He made an important contribution (and it was his reverse cross into the box which Rieldle controlled with his chest and buried for his first goal), but I think it’s been overblown by people from here. “Marking him out of the game”...Zidane hit the post, and he wasn’t a prolific scorer either (2 goals in Europe, 7 in total). I think it’s revisionist because of the player Zidane later became.

When Roy Keane grabbed United by the scruff of the neck in the CL semi at Juve it well documented at the time, I recall nothing on Lambert in the CL final, and I vividly remember that game.
Lambert played in the Champions League final as a defensive midfielder, quelling the influence of Juve's French playmaker Zinedine Zidane.[12][13][14][15][16] Lambert's cross also set up Karl-Heinz Riedle's opening goal as Dortmund won 3–1.[12] His contribution has since been lauded as a Man of the Match performance.

s
Lambert played in the Champions League final as a defensive midfielder, quelling the influence of Juve's French playmaker Zinedine Zidane.[12][13][14][15][16] Lambert's cross also set up Karl-Heinz Riedle's opening goal as Dortmund won 3–1.[12] His contribution has since been lauded as a Man of the Match performance.
Ahh...”since been lauded”. So it wasn’t at the time? It’s revisionist then?

And any non UK sources mate? Especially UEFA, and at the time.

s

Several national newspaper state it as a fact that he won man of the match. Dunno what you expect...

And I think Ottmar Hitzfeld knows better than us about how good he was:

Hitzfeld said: “As a player, he always thought like a coach. He was a leader.

“He didn’t cost a fortune when I bought him, and no one expected him to become a key player – but he did."

s

And here is Sammer:

Dortmund smoothly negotiated every obstacle in their path before booking a place in the final and a date with Juventus, led by the master technician Zinedine Zidane.

The smart money was on the Italians but Lambert gave Zidane a torrid evening, helping Dortmund emerge victorious 3-1.

Sammer was far from shocked at Lambert's terrific performance.

He added: "He was brilliant that night. On the one hand I was impressed. But on the other hand, I was more than aware of his qualities and knew that he wouldn't let Zidane get into the game. So it proved.

"Of course, he left at the end of that season and everyone was very sad to see him go.

"He made a big impression with Dortmund fans, despite the fact he was only there for one season. I think it was his playing style that made him a favourite with the fans. He is still revered in Dortmund today - and rightly so!

"....when Paul and I played, we never lost!"

Do you not think that is a common sense approach in the midst of a Global pandemic?

Yes but why it was not considered years and years ago is crazy

I mean, players have act of god stuff written into their contracts, why wouldn’t the Premier League already have these sort of measures in place?

Yes but why it was not considered years and years ago is crazy

I mean, players have act of god stuff written into their contracts, why wouldn’t the Premier League already have these sort of measures in place?

I think you are being harsh - this was something way beyond writing into contracts & even in peoples wildest legal dreams; how do you prepare for it in advance.

There was obviously a lot on here wishing for voiding, either on Moral (which I was in agreement with) or comedy grounds, but the reality is they needed & were always going to carry on; but with pre-agreement, voiding pre 18 games & creating a set of rules for post 18 games makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back