Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do we want today then? I’m torn because my rational brain says we’re not good enough to make top 4, and if we do miss out then the best thing for Everton long term is if Spurs Liverpool and Arsenal also miss out. City Chelsea United will keep coming every season whether they’re top 4 or not, but missing out on the CL for the other three severely damages them every season they don’t make it which in turn is good for our hopes of regular European football if half the top 6 is disintegrating. In that scenario then, wins for Leicester United and City are good for us.

There’s another train of thought though which is that no one apart from City can keep any decent form going, and looking at our fixtures coming up we have a huge chance of top 4 for ourselves, that would mean we’d want losses for United and Leicester today.

What do we want today then? I’m torn because my rational brain says we’re not good enough to make top 4, and if we do miss out then the best thing for Everton long term is if Spurs Liverpool and Arsenal also miss out. City Chelsea United will keep coming every season whether they’re top 4 or not, but missing out on the CL for the other three severely damages them every season they don’t make it which in turn is good for our hopes of regular European football if half the top 6 is disintegrating. In that scenario then, wins for Leicester United and City are good for us.

There’s another train of thought though which is that no one apart from City can keep any decent form going, and looking at our fixtures coming up we have a huge chance of top 4 for ourselves, that would mean we’d want losses for United and Leicester today.
Win for City. Villa/LCFC draw, WHU/Spuds draw, Barcodes win

I'm quite happy with a West Ham win. I still think they will fall away a bit at the back end as injuries stretch them, and they have an awful run of games that Moyes will bottle.

You're right as well, Spurs/Arsenal missing out on Europe and Liverpool the CL would be seismic and would send all three into meltdown (the stories about Levy wanting to sell Kane are coming from Spurs).

That being said I think Mourinho will soon throw this season and focus on trying to win 2 cups. A draw would probably be optimum result.

As an aside, Chelsea games are what puzzle me now. Part of me wants them to win and get into the distance away from Liverpool, part of me wants them to falter to let us in. Being level with Liverpool defintely confuses things!

I'm quite happy with a West Ham win. I still think they will fall away a bit at the back end as injuries stretch them, and they have an awful run of games that Moyes will bottle.

You're right as well, Spurs/Arsenal missing out on Europe and Liverpool the CL would be seismic and would send all three into meltdown (the stories about Levy wanting to sell Kane are coming from Spurs).

That being said I think Mourinho will soon throw this season and focus on trying to win 2 cups. A draw would probably be optimum result.

As an aside, Chelsea games are what puzzle me now. Part of me wants them to win and get into the distance away from Liverpool, part of me wants them to falter to let us in. Being level with Liverpool defintely confuses things!

Chelsea or United being outside the top 4 whilst Liverpool are in it is the worst case scenario. Both teams can continue to attract top players and top talent without CL football for one season so would still be strong. I think Liverpool missing out on the CL would be the end of Klopp and they’d struggle to get in next season as well. That can only be good for us in the long run. I’ll go for Chelsea us and Leicester to just keep winning and hopefully come the end of the season two of the three of us are in the CL and Liverpool are not.

Horrible set of fixtures today for us.
Everyone around and above us playing each other not sure what outcome i want.

Chelsea or United being outside the top 4 whilst Liverpool are in it is the worst case scenario. Both teams can continue to attract top players and top talent without CL football for one season so would still be strong. I think Liverpool missing out on the CL would be the end of Klopp and they’d struggle to get in next season as well. That can only be good for us in the long run. I’ll go for Chelsea us and Leicester to just keep winning and hopefully come the end of the season two of the three of us are in the CL and Liverpool are not.

Yes I agree with that. The "top 6" is not a singular block, and I always think this when people talk about them acting in such a way. Like Chelsea, and particularly City are heavily hampered by FFP, which has been most pushed by United/Liverpool. The idea they just hand United/Liverpool more power when they know they want to exclude not just the 14, but also City in the long run is testament to this.

You're right too, United have cash reserves and can probably sustain another summer outside of the CL. Chelsea and City have big backers who will dip into their pockets. Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are the weakest of the 3 and will really suffer a crunch. A scenario where 2 miss out on EL and Liverpool miss out on the CL would be a massive shake up.

As for Chelsea, they are trending downwards but under Tuchel will have an up moment. They go up and down, but there's no doubt they are trending downwards in spite of the money they spend. They now very much get a new manager in to compete to win the league. It has gone from dominate the league, to win the league, to compete to win the league (which I think they will do next year).

As for Klopp, it's gone from the point I'd even be happy to see him go. You look at the damage he did at Dortmund, and they got rid of him before he made it any worse (or he left but there was club involvement too). He is running them into the ground. He's done there now. If they do as they did with Houllier with him and give him that extra season, they will greatly regret it. Like you, I suspect he resigns. By all accounts he wanted to go at the end of next season anyway, but can imagine he brings that foward.

Horrible set of fixtures today for us.
Everyone around and above us playing each other not sure what outcome i want.

Teams are going to drop points so its fine. They can't all win.

The most obvious result we need is an Arsenal loss. I think I'd prefer spurs to draw or lose and Leicester villa to be a draw. Whatever happens someone is losing ground.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back