Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't United go there with a crap team and win by two goals to go through with a crowd?

I'm just saying the media is in a hurry to give these teams credit, yeah City is their least favorite but City is what they have right now. I mean you've got Lineker tweeting that's one of the best English away performances in the history of European competition. That's mad.

The second half might be up there. He should have probably caveated it by saying in the CL. United away at Juve obviously. Not that many other performances away from home at top opposition spring to mind. United agaisnt Barca in 08 but again they only drew and defended for nearly all of it.

The second half might be up there. He should have probably caveated it by saying in the CL. United away at Juve obviously. Not that many other performances away from home at top opposition spring to mind. United agaisnt Barca in 08 but again they only drew and defended for nearly all of it.
Chelsea at Camp Nou. Spurs comeback at Ajax. Didn't the RS go to Bayern and batter them one of the years they went on a run recently? That took less than 60 seconds of thinking.

Chelsea at Camp Nou. Spurs comeback at Ajax. Didn't the RS go to Bayern and batter them one of the years they went on a run recently? That took less than 60 seconds of thinking.

Chelsea one they got absolutely battered and were lucky to hang on, it was a backs to the wall job for the full match. Unbelievable game but the performance quality isn’t the same. There was no way anyone would say they deserved to go through, Barca even missed a pen.

Ajax were trash and so were Spurs. Again, an amazing game, a great performance in a different way but the quality level isn’t there. Dolberg was upfront for that Ajax team, Daley Blind was at the back, and Klaasen has walked back into their midfield. That was not a top team.

That Bayern term under Kovac which Liverpool beat was a joke.

In none of these performances has a team gone and dominated a top side away from hone like Ciry did tonight, that’s why Lineker is going overboard like that, it doesn’t happen often. You can catch these sides at a low ebb (like Liverpool under Benitez when they met a shambolic Madrid) or you can get lucky against them (Chelsea v Barca) but it’s not often a team goes and outplays them on their own turf. For City to do that after going a goal down, they deserve credit.

Gotta say, the older I’ve got the less interesting I find the CL.

I find the two legged nature of the knockout ties odd. The second leg is only really interesting if the first leg is close. So you’re either in a scenario where the first leg was a waste of time and non conclusive, or the first leg has been one sided and the second leg is a bit pointless. You get the odd outliers of course like the Bayern PSG quarter final this year where both games were great, but most of the time the best outcome you can hope for is a decent final 20 minutes at the end of a second leg of its still alive.

I’d take a winner takes all FA Cup tie any day.

Chelsea one they got absolutely battered and were lucky to hang on, it was a backs to the wall job for the full match. Unbelievable game but the performance quality isn’t the same. There was no way anyone would say they deserved to go through, Barca even missed a pen.

Ajax were trash and so were Spurs. Again, an amazing game, a great performance in a different way but the quality level isn’t there. Dolberg was upfront for that Ajax team, Daley Blind was at the back, and Klaasen has walked back into their midfield. That was not a top team.

That Bayern term under Kovac which Liverpool beat was a joke.

In none of these performances has a team gone and dominated a top side away from hone like Ciry did tonight, that’s why Lineker is going overboard like that, it doesn’t happen often. You can catch these sides at a low ebb (like Liverpool under Benitez when they met a shambolic Madrid) or you can get lucky against them (Chelsea v Barca) but it’s not often a team goes and outplays them on their own turf. For City to do that after going a goal down, they deserve credit.
PSG are only a top side because it is convenient.

And of course they probably scored the luckiest CL goal i can remember to make their "performance" great

Gotta say, the older I’ve got the less interesting I find the CL.

I suspect that this has something to do with the deterioration of the competition into the same eight teams fighting for the prize, with the odd interloper here and there. In the last ten years, one of Bayern, Barca or Real has made every final except the all-English one, winning eight of nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back