Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was gonna say the same thing. They are consistently awful and an embarrassment to the Mexican National Team, which clearly seemed exasperated by their fans' behavior.

Great win for the US, and an enjoyable match. Mexico's strategy of not marking or playing defense on corners seems to have backfired. They might want to actually try and play defense/mark players on corners next time the play.

Mexico did alright defending corners in the WC, which was the first time I ever saw them defend corners decently. They are abjectly terrible at it.

I've had 2026 circled for a couple years when it comes to football.

I think that's, hopefully the first world cup we are talking about where they get some real pressure put on them. And we'll see how they respond. It's going to just really fun to watch though as am American and see how this group with Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie. I got my Mexico on Dest and Musah. We need a late bloomer striker or some wonderkid to pop up cuz Sargent isn't working for me.

Might as well get jordan Morris up there to run around at guys and just do nothing. Perhaps went too far, but I just love what they got to build around.

And Mckennie. I like that him a lot. I like how he carries himself. He's a kid but he's gotta be a man cuz this team got a lot of soft mom drove them to the game in minivans types..

Not saying that makes them bad players or they can't be talented. They just don't have that edge you need a few guys to have to deal with all the concacaf crap

Remember when I cared that that one guy chose Mexico. I honestly can't remember his name was it Joe corona or something? It sounds like an awful pun, but it's great to look back and be able to say I don't care that dudes around.

He isn't making a difference for mexico.

I think a problem is starting to arise in that do you see any of these players being the 1st-3rd best player on their respective clubs (maybe Reyna, if he doesn't chase big club $$$).

It looks like we are asking a bunch of decent to good squad players to step up and lead, and that's never been their role. Plus striker is the most important position on the pitch, and not having one can make a good squad look really bad. It looks like we don't have anyone who is even as good as Altidore in his prime.

CONCACAF is gutter trash right now, Asia is starting to regress.

Gonna have to get together w/ the US, Mexico, Japan and a few decent non-euro teams and create a 8 member Super Mediocrity Tourney League.
If Jamaica and Canada keep progressing the CONCACAF contingent for 2022 could be surprisingly decent. It'd be nice to not send two of the three worst teams as in 2018.

I think a problem is starting to arise in that do you see any of these players being the 1st-3rd best player on their respective clubs (maybe Reyna, if he doesn't chase big club $$$).

It looks like we are asking a bunch of decent to good squad players to step up and lead, and that's never been their role. Plus striker is the most important position on the pitch, and not having one can make a good squad look really bad. It looks like we don't have anyone who is even as good as Altidore in his prime.

I think that is a fair assessment. However, this country, has never had the ability to produce a player of the caliber you're talking about. And we've pretty much accepted that we won't. I mean 2026 is a hell of a ways away and I don't think anyone was ever looking at 2022 like a great cycle. Striker can improve. But I agree it's bad.

But if I'm not mistaken I would say only a handful of guys you're talking about are on that level. You have the messi's, de bruyne's, Haaland's, mbappe's and so on.

But like what did Lewandowski ever win with Poland? Our top guys maybe weaker than good teams best guys, but I think 1-10 they're set up pretty respectably. Their worst guy or two is gonna be rough. But the top 8 players for the first time, I think the US has guys with talent who measure up. Not just athletes.

I mean whether the talent realizes it's potential who knows and of course that's the most important part. But the team has never had anyone like Pulisic or Reyna. McKennie and Musah I wanna see grow together in the midfield. You got Dest with potential. I like Brooks physicality, if he can be a little more consistent. You still got guys like Fuentes to hold out hope for. Richards too.

Their isn't any "world class" talent in my opinion, but potentially right in those two tiers under that of really good players. We've never had that. Like 5 or 6 of these kids are gonna be light years better than US soccer's golden child Donovan. I actually think they are. That fraud could never succeed in Europe and his mentality was crap. I'll stop, I've gone enough already.

They're not gonna win a world cup but I'm looking forward to a realistic look at a run to the quarters depending on the draws over the next decade.

I think that is a fair assessment. However, this country, has never had the ability to produce a player of the caliber you're talking about. And we've pretty much accepted that we won't. I mean 2026 is a hell of a ways away and I don't think anyone was ever looking at 2022 like a great cycle. Striker can improve. But I agree it's bad.

But if I'm not mistaken I would say only a handful of guys you're talking about are on that level. You have the messi's, de bruyne's, Haaland's, mbappe's and so on.

But like what did Lewandowski ever win with Poland? Our top guys maybe weaker than good teams best guys, but I think 1-10 they're set up pretty respectably. Their worst guy or two is gonna be rough. But the top 8 players for the first time, I think the US has guys with talent who measure up. Not just athletes.

I mean whether the talent realizes it's potential who knows and of course that's the most important part. But the team has never had anyone like Pulisic or Reyna. McKennie and Musah I wanna see grow together in the midfield. You got Dest with potential. I like Brooks physicality, if he can be a little more consistent. You still got guys like Fuentes to hold out hope for. Richards too.

Their isn't any "world class" talent in my opinion, but potentially right in those two tiers under that of really good players. We've never had that. Like 5 or 6 of these kids are gonna be light years better than US soccer's golden child Donovan. I actually think they are. That fraud could never succeed in Europe and his mentality was crap. I'll stop, I've gone enough already.

They're not gonna win a qworld cup but I'm looking forward to a realistic look at a run to the quarters depending on the draws over the next decade.
Granted his career had the early-mid 20s Premadonvan stretch when he hated football (had depression issues, went to the wrong Euro club twice) but Donovan was way better than any of these guys when he was 18 and peak late 20s Donovan was the best player we've ever had.

If 5-6 of these kids are gonna be light years better than Donovan was then we gonna be Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back