• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me politics should be kept out of football or at the very least leave it behind with last season.

Why doesnt the league do something for gay rights, womens right, genocides around the globe? Where does it end?

Games becoming completely Americanised, add in water breaks and daft wages we'll have half time floats soon and cup finals lasting 5 hours.

It’s all about opinions mate.

Sport and sports people are worldwide now and as such they tend to be a voice for all sorts of causes. I can appreciate you turn on the game or go to the stadium and you want to switch off and just watch football rather than be hammered with more current affairs.

insofar as other causes, there was the rainbow laces and other campaigns for LGBT rights, Marcus rashford did the school dinners campaign and quite a few players are unicef ambassadors etc.... appreciate your point though, maybe we should keep politics out of sport the only problem is that you can trust the politicians so why not lobby them effectively (through sport?)

Those rules clearly state exceptions

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
I see what you're saying, if you take that last bit on its own it wasn't a foul. But to me it reads that it's not an offence if the ball touches a players arm directly from a players own head or body (including the foot) except if the hand/arm has made the body unnaturally bigger.

Ha ha.

Not having a very good day for getting my facts right

I recall Rooney getting a few for us in the Koeman Allardyce era but otherwise I'm shocked by those figures

Yeah i was too to be honest. Hopefully as last season was our season to only get one hopefully this season we'll get about 20.

Leeds probably won’t play as good as that for a while. And they still lost. I imagine they raised their game due to it being their first game back in the Premier League and also at Anfield against champions. Probably the biggest game for some of their players.

They will certainly score a few but will concede a few as well. Up against more tactically astute mangers in the Premiership who will let Leeds have the ball and then hit them. I think it will be an interesting season for them and how they do.

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
I see what you're saying, if you take that last bit on its own it wasn't a foul. But to me it reads that it's not an offence if the ball touches a players arm directly from a players own head or body (including the foot) except if the hand/arm has made the body unnaturally bigger.

Yeah I agree, tbh I hadn't really read it properly but that interpretation is the only one that makes sense

For me politics should be kept out of football or at the very least leave it behind with last season.

Why doesnt the league do something for gay rights, womens right, genocides around the globe? Where does it end?

Games becoming completely Americanised, add in water breaks and daft wages we'll have half time floats soon and cup finals lasting 5 hours.

They do, it’s called the Rainbow Laces campaign, where players wear coloured bootlaces and team captains wear the rainbow colours on their armbands

Sport reaches a global audience, if people see the world’s top sports stars take stances on these issues by taking a knee, promoting equality for all sexualities etc the hope is to make people see and bring racism, homophobia, homelessness etc to an end. It all helps bring out the woodworks the people who are set in their ways

They do, it’s called the Rainbow Laces campaign, where players wear coloured bootlaces and team captains wear the rainbow colours on their armbands

Sport reaches a global audience, if people see the world’s top sports stars take stances on these issues by taking a knee, promoting equality for all sexualities etc the hope is to make people see and bring racism, homophobia, homelessness etc to an end. It all helps bring out the woodworks the people who are set in their ways

The difference between rainbow laces and BLM is that BLM is a political movement.

Im not gonna derail the thread but for me it should have ended with last season as its been done for a number of months and shown the support for events that happened in the states but that should now be it. Sadly once pished up fans are back in the grounds it wont be long before some idiots boo or heckle the players doing it and unnecessary drama is made of it all and cans of worms are opened.

Just get on with the bloody football and leave politics and social injustice movements to those in government / political activists.

Last edited:

They have the rainbow laces campaign. That’s been going on for years, surprised you’ve missed that.

Also, a lot of African footballers have foundations set up to help people in the home countries from poverty that come as a result of political unrest.

For as long as I can remember there’s been plenty of political campaigns in the game promoting all kinds of causes.

They have the rainbow laces campaign. That’s been going on for years, surprised you’ve missed that.

Also, a lot of African footballers have foundations set up to help people in the home countries from poverty that come as a result of political unrest.

For as long as I can remember there’s been plenty of political campaigns in the game promoting all kinds of causes.

You see some people love politics being rammed down our throats at every opportunity / discussion - I like many dont regardless of the good intentions that it may be for.

I go to the ground to watch my team play football - not to watch players take the knee, do black power signs, hold up catalonian independence signs or fly catholic/protestant flags/signs.

Leave politics and religion out of it - they shown support for those 9 weeks of last season following George Floyds death now lets move on eh otherwise maybe those watching the game are watching it for the wrong reasons.

What? It took 3 whole minutes of the season for them to be given a dodgy penalty? What makes these refs take so long!!!

What? It took 87 whole minutes of the season for them to be given two penalties? What makes these refs take so long!!!

That's more than we got in the whole of last season, football's pointless.

balls.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back