Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardian reporter Paul Doyle would like to see some changes
eg. Goalies not allowed to catch the ball.
Professional/cynical foul anywhere on the pitch should be a penalty.
The goalies thing sounds a tad too gimmicky.

I'm in favor of sin binning for yellow cards. I wasn't always, but the frequency of fouls to stop attacks and let teams get away with suicidal pressing is too high at the minute. The issue of course is application because refs already favor the big clubs with giving out yellows and this would be an easy way to take that a step further.

Ref should have a 3rd card (assume blue) - Every time there is clear timewasting ref waves card to 4th official adding another 30 secs. So if a keeper is really acting the maggot, team could get two or three blue cards against them in a few mins

Ref should have a 3rd card (assume blue) - Every time there is clear timewasting ref waves card to 4th official adding another 30 secs. So if a keeper is really acting the maggot, team could get two or three blue cards against them in a few mins

Why not just give a yellow card to the keeper the first time he does it - like he should?
And if he does it again then give him another yellow card.
That would eliminate timewasting from the goalkeeper immediately.
Some of the timewasting I have seen at the Etihad by goalkeepers really has been beyond a joke
and they do it immediately from the kick off so it is planned and part of the tactics / game plan to
slow things down. It really does kill the game from a fans point of view.

this week in the MLS

So under wenger's rule, that ball is still in play, surely? In his rule the ball going out of play from a corner and then back in is play on. Well the ball hasn't come back into play yet, but one of the attacking team can go can hoof it back into play from row z and we just play on. If that player picks up the ball though, it's a free kick in row z for handball.

Why not just give a yellow card to the keeper the first time he does it - like he should?
And if he does it again then give him another yellow card.
That would eliminate timewasting from the goalkeeper immediately.
Some of the timewasting I have seen at the Etihad by goalkeepers really has been beyond a joke
and they do it immediately from the kick off so it is planned and part of the tactics / game plan to
slow things down. It really does kill the game from a fans point of view.

Fair question, I think the impact of this would be stronger as the ref could issue two one after the other if the keeper (or anyone else) is really chancing there arm with timewasting,

Reality is how often does a yellow card disincentivise time wasting, particularly for keepers. Not much, they know they wont get a second one and a red.

Fair question, I think the impact of this would be stronger as the ref could issue two one after the other if the keeper (or anyone else) is really chancing there arm with timewasting,

Reality is how often does a yellow card disincentivise time wasting, particularly for keepers. Not much, they know they wont get a second one and a red.

Exactly this. But if they actually did get a second yellow the timewasting would cease overnight.
I see it as a case of enforcing the laws correctly that we already have and not bringing in new ones
to try and work around it. I kid you not, I have seen goalkeepers wasting time immediately after kick off
and just continuing to do it for the whole game. As you rightly say, knowing there is very little chance of
getting a yellow card never mind two.

Exactly this. But if they actually did get a second yellow the timewasting would cease overnight.
I see it as a case of enforcing the laws correctly that we already have and not bringing in new ones
to try and work around it. I kid you not, I have seen goalkeepers wasting time immediately after kick off
and just continuing to do it for the whole game. As you rightly say, knowing there is very little chance of
getting a yellow card never mind two.

yeah & it's a reality Vs what should happen arguement. I do think a team 1-0 with 10 to go, receiving 8 blue cards, would speed them up a bit more that the prospect of a yellow. It would also defuse the situation as the team chasing the game would be far more relaxed that the 30 secs are being added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back