Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's because of Everton and 6 games, but Leicester, Wolves etc across a whole season must be in there minds.

United are 16th and really worrying. I think Liverpool's American owners can see, that without substantial investment thts what awaits them too. So there is an increased urgency.

The idea though, that tmhose 2 are like Rangers/Celtic or Barca/Real in our league is laughable. When was the last time Celtic or Rangers/Barca-Madrid lost 6-1 or 7-2 in a game to anotehr domestic opponent? Never mind the same week.

its the substantial and continual investment that worries them; £100 million plus a year just to stay in the top four

I don't think it's because of Everton and 6 games, but Leicester, Wolves etc across a whole season must be in there minds.

United are 16th and really worrying. I think Liverpool's American owners can see, that without substantial investment thts what awaits them too. So there is an increased urgency.

The idea though, that tmhose 2 are like Rangers/Celtic or Barca/Real in our league is laughable. When was the last time Celtic or Rangers/Barca-Madrid lost 6-1 or 7-2 in a game to anotehr domestic opponent? Never mind the same week.

The two main clubs , Man Utd and Liverpool (and because they are the next biggest and successful maybe Arsenal,) have wanted a bigger slice for more than 20 years.
During that times most of the smaller clubs have had spells in mid table and have also had spells where they kind of unsucessfully compete (Spurs being the obvious example.)
Teams like Spurs Wolves Leicester Everton etc are pretty irrelevant because they may have had little spells in the last 30 years but the only constant has been the biggest two or three. The rest are come and go but are there to make up the numbers.

I purposely left out City and City cos even though they are now constant power houses, they were never part of the never ending power play from 20+ years ago.

The two main clubs , Man Utd and Liverpool (and because they are the next biggest and successful maybe Arsenal,) have wanted a bigger slice for more than 20 years.
During that times most of the smaller clubs have had spells in mid table and have also had spells where they kind of unsucessfully compete (Spurs being the obvious example.)
Teams like Spurs Wolves Leicester Everton etc are pretty irrelevant because they may have had little spells in the last 30 years but the only constant has been the biggest two or three. The rest are come and go but are there to make up the numbers.

I purposely left out City and City cos even though they are now constant power houses, they were never part of the never ending power play from 20+ years ago.
Chelsea and City are the most likely to be consistently near the top now though. Chelsea have one season outside the top 6 in almost 25 years. City haven't finished below 4th since they broke through. They are part of the power now because they're the richest and the most competently run.

I think both oints are true simultaneously. That they have had a long term commitment to wanting more money but also the acute crisis of Covid (disproportionately impacting them) and seeing United slipping down the table has really spooked them.

Burnley chairman Mike Garlick is preparing to give over his share of the club to a controversial new owner in a £200million deal. The east Lancashire side have been looking to raise investment for many months.

And they are about to get the financial windfall they desire from lawyer Chris Farnell.

Farnell was in talks to buy Charlton Athletic earlier this summer but he failed the EFL's fit and proper person's test.

On appeal, that decision was reversed yesterday, giving the green light for him to take charge at Turf Moor.

Farnell will be bankrolled by Egyptian businessman Mohamed El Kashashy.

A Sales and Purchase Agreement (SPA) has been signed, proof of funding passed and the Owners' and Directors' test cleared.

Millionaire businessman El Kashashy made his fortune in the food industry and talks have been going on with Garlick for almost a year.

He has been keen on taking over an English football club for some time and enquired about joining Farnell's consortium.

American investment firm ALK Capital were in talks to buy Burnley but this news will come as a huge blow to their hopes.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche has grown frustrated with the lack of signing this summer as the club stood to lose £50m because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The new owners are believed to want Dyche to remain in charge and see him as part of their long-term plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back