Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from the Guardian MBM report. Absolutely sickening.

33 min: Klopp’s is raging on the sidelines, seemingly about the rugged nature of some of Midtyjlland’s challenges. They haven’t quite been from the Pickford-Richarlison playbook, but they haven’t been clever and you can understand Liverpool being anxious about a rising casualty list.

Richarlison's challenge was bad but hardly the worst we've seen . The more I watch Pickford's, the more inoccuous it looks. It's a foul because he gets there late. But if there had been no unfotunate injury, there wouldn't be so much fuss. It certainly wasn't some savage aggression. Which there still trying to paint it as.

Playbook insinuates it is something they regularly do. Cowards in the media.

I haven't caught a game is Shakhtar actually good? Sucks Madrid got the point, would they actually have a shot of advancing, Shakhtar?

I don't usually root for Eastern European teams but I don't really care about anyone in that group.

I've not seen the individual figures but I have read that a couple of games got 90,000 - the average being somewhere around 35,000 when you take into account nothing games that carry no general interest. PPV when it comes won't be looking exclusively at averages but also how much the big games are bringing in, especially crunch games at the backend of a season. So long as they ensure smaller matches cover their costs then it's a potentially huge market.

I can't speak for you but if Everton are playing a crunch title game and I can't go but a little button will let me watch for £10-£15.....it's very tempting regardless of the fact I know I'm feeding a beast I have no fondness for whatsoever.

We've had years of people cry-arsing about 3pm games not being available on a Saturday or not being able to just watch the games they want. Given time that long term desire for selective viewing will outweigh the short-term resistance from people who have only very recently got quite cosy with the novelty of all games being broadcast at no extra charge on top of their usual services.

What works for Boxing and Wrestling (often at stupid o'clock in the morning) will, given time, work for football once the hype get's going. It's scratching the same itch.

I am very doubtful it will work mate. I mean there is always a range but that range is incredibly low as is the average. Even fairly mediocre, or poor boxing PPV wil do substantially more buys than the biggest football matches from what we can see.

I am not sure how the market grows enormously after this. The 3pm thing have taken 30 years for people to accept and has been a very successfully run operation. This has not. 30 year ago, had sky introuced games at different times, and it fell completely on it's backside and get wathed by less viewers than probably tune in to QVC, the idea would have been shelved.

Likewise this idea that people just want to pay to watch their own team. That was always a myth as well, and has proven to be thus through this case study. Even the biggest teams, Liverpool, United & Spurs can't attract the number they would typically get to watch them at the stadium. I'm not saying there aren't people who will say it or indeed do it, but they are in such small numbers it is not going to be commercially viable at this point.

Given the TV companies have probably lost money, and may well have taken an enormous reputational hit, I am doubtful in the short-medium term they would even want to go into it again. For the primary reason above, that all evidence suggests the numbers can't come close to justifying it, but aso because they know it's a precursor to potentially moving footbll away from them. They are not stupid, and can see if it's uccessful, how long before individual clubs want to either move PPV to their own platform, or alternatively set up their own netflix style solution. They are not going to encourage that.

As a final point, I'm not really sure boxing, or wrestling are comparable to football. I mean Wrestling exists almost entirely in the US and is anentertainment product not a sport. You also get 6+ hours of "action" for your payment. It is well entrenched in that business model of payment. Likewise boxing is 5-7 hours of action (not 90 minutes) and over the last 30 years have entrenched the idea that you pay to watch the top fights.

Football has built a different model, and nothing says to me that there is any desire for the consumers to want to pay 15 quid to watch a game. It was a model where you pay 50-100 quid a month for a satellite channel, with the expectation you getto see your team at least semi-regularly. All evidence seems to be to the contrary which is backed up by these findings. The fact we all know that many teams and broadcasters don't want it will only heighten that anger.

This from the Guardian MBM report. Absolutely sickening.

33 min: Klopp’s is raging on the sidelines, seemingly about the rugged nature of some of Midtyjlland’s challenges. They haven’t quite been from the Pickford-Richarlison playbook, but they haven’t been clever and you can understand Liverpool being anxious about a rising casualty list.

Richarlison's challenge was bad but hardly the worst we've seen . The more I watch Pickford's, the more inoccuous it looks. It's a foul because he gets there late. But if there had been no unfotunate injury, there wouldn't be so much fuss. It certainly wasn't some savage aggression. Which they're still trying to paint it as.

As I have posted before: Start getting used to it.
Once you even remotely start becoming a threat or even a potential threat to Liverpool & United the knives come out from the media. At City we have seen and heard it all. Mercenaries. Can't buy success. Sportswashing. Oil money. Tactical fouling, FFP and on and on and on it goes. It gets worse if you do actually win anything as it gets ignored & glossed over (just like the quadruple & 100 points did). As we know Liverpool have done one hell of a job in controlling the football media. So now Everton have started to come good and so it starts... Clearly the first smear is that you are dirty team. That theme will be repeated at every single opportunity so it gets to become the norm. It then starts to have an effect on the officials just like it did in your last game (as did 'tactical fouling' with us). The sheep that are the armchair fans swallow it hook line and sinker and before you know it, you are 'dirty Everton'. Then they will move to something else then something else again. It's the price of success unfortunately. But don't let it get you down. The reason they are doing it is because Everton is the next threat on the horizon. That can only be good.

For decades the bigger clubs have always wanted what they feel, is a deserved bigger portion of the cake and its not because Everton are having a good run of 6 games and the possibility of new money.
I don't agree one bit with them getting an even bigger share of the money as it will make the premier league less competitive.

For decades the bigger clubs have always wanted what they feel, is a deserved bigger portion of the cake and its not because Everton are having a good run of 6 games and the possibility of new money.
I don't agree one bit with them getting an even bigger share of the money as it will make the premier league less competitive.

I don't think it's because of Everton and 6 games, but Leicester, Wolves etc across a whole season must be in there minds.

United are 16th and really worrying. I think Liverpool's American owners can see, that without substantial investment thts what awaits them too. So there is an increased urgency.

The idea though, that tmhose 2 are like Rangers/Celtic or Barca/Real in our league is laughable. When was the last time Celtic or Rangers/Barca-Madrid lost 6-1 or 7-2 in a game to anotehr domestic opponent? Never mind the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back