• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2016 / 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well I was barely alive when Forest were winning European cups.

Fair enough, but they were still in the top flight for pretty much the 80s and 90s, so I assume you grew up with them being a mainstay.

My point is not that you're wrong -- Forest have 2 European cups, 2 more than us! -- but rather I think people are biased to the teams that were around when they were growing up. And I only say this because I've only recently reached the age where I've seen enough teams come and go to have the same thought process, i.e. feeling sad to see Portsmouth fall so low.

I think people who remember Clough's Forest and their amazing European double are skewed a bit as to the historical standing of the club as a whole. They've spent the 22nd most seasons in the top flight (fewer than Bolton, Wolves, Derby and both Sheffield teams) and only ever won the title once.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SEASONS-IN-TOP-FLIGHT----1888-89-to-2009-10.html

Though really I think what defines a top flight club is all subjective, and depends on what you grew up with. I remember Portsmouth being a good Prem team throughout my childhood so to me they're a Prem team, even though they're now in league 2 and have only spent 1/4 of their existence in the top flight.
Glossop have spent the same number of seasons in the top flight of English football as Barnsley, but I know who is the bigger club in my eyes.

While you're right that the stature of a club is subjective based mainly on experiences, for me there's a few aspects which hold extra weight.

And for me winning the League along with the FA Cup, European Cup and League Cup on more than one occasion makes you a big club.

Fair enough, but they were still in the top flight for pretty much the 80s and 90s, so I assume you grew up with them being a mainstay.

My point is not that you're wrong -- Forest have 2 European cups, 2 more than us! -- but rather I think people are biased to the teams that were around when they were growing up. And I only say this because I've only recently reached the age where I've seen enough teams come and go to have the same thought process, i.e. feeling sad to see Portsmouth fall so low.

Yeah but......Harry Redknapp???

I know what you mean and you're right they were top flight during my youth.

It's a stature thing. They're a premier league club in all but their actual league for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back