• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2016 / 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know what you mean and you're right they were top flight during my youth.

It's a stature thing. They're a premier league club in all but their actual league for me.

I think most people would agree with you. Most people over 20 at least.

Personally I don't care who comes and goes in the Prem, with the exception of utter bells like Newcastle, so long as they get here on merit. If it was the same 20 clubs every year it would be dull (Everton aside of course!)

Glossop have spent the same number of seasons in the top flight of English football as Barnsley, but I know who is the bigger club in my eyes.

While you're right that the stature of a club is subjective based mainly on experiences, for me there's a few aspects which hold extra weight.

And for me winning the League along with the FA Cup, European Cup and League Cup on more than one occasion makes you a big club.

That really is my point though, it's subjective. Nostalgia plays a big part, seemingly stadium size is a big deal also, probably the only reason Newcastle think they're a massive club!

Personally I think sustained relevance is the biggest thing. How many generations grew up with you being a top flight club? That's a bigger factor in my opinion than a team who might win a few trophies but yo-yo through the leagues.

But yeah, it's all subjective. And probably influenced by my bias for Everton. Naturally we've spent longer in the top flight than any other club so I feel like that's an important thing, in lieu of actual trophies or titles :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back