Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pen or not, anyone saying it's a red card clearly doesn't know the rules of football.

Double jeopardy has applied for almost 3 seasons now. If it's a pen it cannot be red unless there was clearly no attempt to play the ball.

Sorry mate it’s you who “clearly doesnt know the rules of football”

The laws literally state players will still get sent off for “holding, pulling or pushing”

It’s a push in the back from behind, it’s still a red card.

Put yourself in Oliver’s place. He was stuck in the middle of a screaming rabble with Buffon as the main aggressor. We rightly moan when other teams do it. Intimidation of the referee is football’s disgrace.
I think you can give a degree of leniency for such scenarios though, Champions League semi final, last minute of added time, not an absolute stone wall penalty and there must have been a level of doubt from Oliver even after he'd awarded it. He wasn't manhandled, it was just pure passion from a goalkeeper who just realised his Champions League career was about to be ended in hugely controversial circumstances. I'd have given him a yellow, and all the others who were around him too which ultimately would have led to a red card coming out which would have sent the same message that surrounding the referee like that will end up with somebody being sent off.

I think you can give a degree of leniency for such scenarios though, Champions League semi final, last minute of added time, not an absolute stone wall penalty and there must have been a level of doubt from Oliver even after he'd awarded it. He wasn't manhandled, it was just pure passion from a goalkeeper who just realised his Champions League career was about to be ended in hugely controversial circumstances. I'd have given him a yellow, and all the others who were around him too which ultimately would have led to a red card coming out which would have sent the same message that surrounding the referee like that will end up with somebody being sent off.
Agreed

Not like buffon has a track record of being rowdy hes normally composed all that should come into account IMO

Still yet to see a ref change his mind after he has awarded a pen and the assistant hasn't said anything against it. So Buffon (& others) were just wasting their time, nevermind pulling and swearing at him.

My respect for Buffon has gone down after what he said to the press. He is my age and not a kid to be making such silly comments:

"You cannot ruin the dreams of a team. I could've told the referee anything at that moment, but he had to understand the degree of the disaster he was creating."

Better get on to the referees association to ensure that you can't ruin the dreams of a team...wait a min there are two teams! From now on all matches have to end in a draw.

Sorry mate it’s you who “clearly doesnt know the rules of football”

The laws literally state players will still get sent off for “holding, pulling or pushing”

It’s a push in the back from behind, it’s still a red card.

He tried to hook the ball with his leg. If that wasn't an attempt to play the ball then I dunno what it was.

Put yourself in Oliver’s place. He was stuck in the middle of a screaming rabble with Buffon as the main aggressor. We rightly moan when other teams do it. Intimidation of the referee is football’s disgrace.

Indeed.

Buffon wants slapping.

I mean, it was a clear penalty.

He should have been composing himself to face it instead of abusing the referee in a state of faux outrage.

Imagine the penalty had been fired over the bar....his team would have played extra time with ten men thanks to his histrionics.

A sad post script to a wonderful career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back