Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might view things through a blue tinted lens, and Chelsea, City and Spurs have certainly made inroads into the 'pecking order', but in terms of global standing in football, Everton Football Club still ranks fourth imo (behind United, Liverpool and Arsenal). Yes, we have been a little underwhelming recently, but Everton is still a big, big team and our sterling work in the community suggests this will not change in my lifetime.

Big Sam, who will be here next season, isn't interested in cups mate.
You might be right mate. I think Mr Allardyce's intentions next season will be focussed on our winning the PL. I can only hope that this single focus does not impinge on our work in the community and the Blue Chrimbo we put on.

Hopefully spurs' best players will start to look at moving on thinking they can't win anything. That will then at least give us a chance to try and keep up with them.
I might be a little 'Everton-centric', but I don't consider Spurs have passed us in terms of standing in the game. In very recent times, they have been marginally better performers in the league, but we have been Champions, much more recently than them. I have not looked at the evidencing numbers (eg blue Xmas trees sold worldwide), but intuitively I'd suggest that on a global basis, we are perceived a much bigger club.

I might be a little 'Everton-centric', but I don't consider Spurs have passed us in terms of standing in the game. In very recent times, they have been marginally better performers in the league, but we have been Champions, much more recently than them. I have not looked at the evidencing numbers (eg blue Xmas trees sold worldwide), but intuitively I'd suggest that on a global basis, we are perceived a much bigger club.

I wish that was the case mate, but if you ask loads of football fans abroad they will probably say Leicester are bigger than both of us. We can't trade off past glories forever, recent history counts for more unfortunately.

That said any sane person who has all the facts should look beyond that and 9 titles top 2 and their last major trophy win was 1991.

I might be a little 'Everton-centric', but I don't consider Spurs have passed us in terms of standing in the game. In very recent times, they have been marginally better performers in the league, but we have been Champions, much more recently than them. I have not looked at the numbers, but intuitively I'd suggest that on a global basis, we are perceived a much bigger club.

Were not even viewed as a bigger club in England let alone on a global basis.

That’s going to wind some people here up no end but it’s the reality imo when talking to/reading comments from neutrals.

Spurs have always managed to stay in the media for whatever reasons even when [Poor language removed]. They have signed lots of glamour names over the years, sold their best players to mega clubs etc. They have always got far more media attention than Everton and thus this helps cerment the perception of them being a bigger club in the eyes of casuals. Abroad it’s the same. They have always got far more media coverage.

I’m fairly sure there was even a poll about it on redcafe a couple years back asking who was bigger between Spurs, Everton and Villa and Spurs won the voting by a landslide.

I’ve had this discussion with friends and I always make this point- there’s people in their 20’s now who haven’t seen us win a trophy. That’s an entire generation of people who have not seen us win anything. And that doesn’t just extend to the public either- it extends to players. In general I’d argue that neither of us are as big as we’d like to think, but their current status probably makes them a more attractive option as a club, both in terms of a global fan base and attracting new players. Not necessarily a bigger club of course, but that’s all a bit silly that big club talk isn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back