Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
For NI to finish last in the 2nd placed groups.

1) They must lose to Norway (reducing current relevant GD of +5) - A draw would be sufficient
2) Wales must beat RoI to achieve 14 points - or RoI must beat Wales to achieve 13 points (currently +1 goals, so perhaps win by 3)
3) Croatia must win in Ukraine to achieve 14 points or Ukraine must beat Croatia - either by about 3 goals.
4) Scotland need to win by about 4 or 5 goals
5) key - Bosnia must lose and Greece sneak 2nd place in that group

Current 2nd - high-low points

High Low
France 21 17
Portugal 19 18
Italy 17 14
Denmark 16 13
Northern Ireland 16 13
Wales 14 12
Croatia 14 12
Scotland 14 12
B&H 11 9

For NI to finish last in the 2nd placed groups.

1) They must lose to Norway (reducing current relevant GD of +5) - A draw would be sufficient
2) Wales must beat RoI to achieve 14 points - or RoI must beat Wales to achieve 13 points (currently +1 goals, so perhaps win by 3)
3) Croatia must win in Ukraine to achieve 14 points or Ukraine must beat Croatia - either by about 3 goals.
4) Scotland need to win by about 4 or 5 goals
5) key - Bosnia must lose and Greece sneak 2nd place in that group

Current 2nd - high-low points

High Low
France 21 17
Portugal 19 18
Italy 17 14
Denmark 16 13
Northern Ireland 16 13
Wales 14 12
Croatia 14 12
Scotland 14 12
B&H 11 9

NI are guaranteed a spot regardless of other games, if they avoid losing by more than a single goal. If they lose by more than one goal, they will be through regardless if Scotland fail to win, Ukraine and Croatia draw, Wales and ROI draw, or if Denmark lose very heavily (never gonna happen).

Scotland must win. Their GD is far inferior to others so if they drew, they would almost certainly miss out with 12 points on GD.

Wales almost certainly need a win to go through although a draw could be enough if Scotland and Slovakia fail to win, or Croatia and Ukraine draw.

ROI need to win and quite possibly will have to increase their GD too.

I hope I'm right in what I'm saying but it's flipping confusing lol

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

NI are guaranteed a spot regardless of other games, if they avoid losing by more than a single goal. If they lose by more than one goal, they will be through regardless if Scotland fail to win, Ukraine and Croatia draw, Wales and ROI draw, or if Denmark lose very heavily (never gonna happen).

Scotland must win. Their GD is far inferior to others so if they drew, they would almost certainly miss out with 12 points on GD.

Wales almost certainly need a win to go through although a draw could be enough if Scotland and Slovakia fail to win, or Croatia and Ukraine draw.

ROI need to win and quite possibly will have to increase their GD too.

I hope I'm right in what I'm saying but it's flipping confusing lol

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
Scotland won't finish second if they don't win so the tiebreaker makes no difference

They could do in theory with only a draw if Slovakia don't win. But yes that's extremely unlikely.

As it stands; it's really not likely that Northern Ireland doesn't qualify.

Worst seconds atm:

Points Goal difference [there should should be some kind of table option because it's quite difficult like this; is there an option?]
Portugal 18 18
Italy 14 3
Sweden 13 10
Denmark 13 7
NI 13 5 (10 goals scored)
Greece 13 4 (9 goals scored) (played an extra match!!!)
Wales 11 2 (7 goals scored)
Croatia 11 2 (6 goals scored)
Scotland 11 -1 (8 goals scored)

19 points if they beat Wales.

Sweden will have 19 if they beat Luxemburg tomorrow (with one match in hand and +11 already) - so group A probably won't be worst.

Second in group B already has 21 (+24); so probably won't be them.

Second in group C already 19 (+14) with one match in hand - proabably won't be them

Second in group E already 19 (+11) with one match in hand - probably won't be them

Second in group F; is Scotland they have 17 points atm. Their last game is against Slovenia; should easily win that. So they'll have 20 points then.

Second in group G; Italy already 19 (+12); one match in hand.

Second in group H is Bosnia; 14 points atm. They have to play Belgium tomorrow, so if we win against them quite they'll quite likely end up with 17 points. The third Greece still has two easy games; so they'll probably also end up with 19 points (very easy matches ahead so can easily enhance their + goals).

Won't be group I; since both already have 19 points; (if I watch the results tonight + good goals scored ratio's).

So in conclusion; probably Ireland or the second out of the Belgian group will probably be the worst depending on the goal saldo. Ireland has +5 atm I think; Bosnia +11, Greece (+6).

Ps: I am quite tired so sorry if there are some errors there.

Don't wins against pot six teams get discounted?

Edit: sorry, you addressed this later

..interesting interviews with Beckenbauer and Bobby Charlton on BBC. Seems both were allocated to mark each other in the 1966 World Cup Final. They nullified each other but Beckenbauer says Charlton was the best player in the world at that point.

Controversial perhaps given Pele and Eusebio, but i’m with the Kaiser on this one, Charlton was very special.

It was one of those three for sure

Had it not been for an excellent Nobby Stiles man marking job in Eusebio, I think Portugal would have won that World Cup

Definitely any of the four semi final sides would have made deserving winners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back