Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely right. It's a shame that we've fallen several years (if we improve and they don't improve further - so if we're incredibly lucky) behind the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and West Ham, while you'd have to be the most biased of biased blues to think we're anywhere near Brentford or even Palace right now. That's all excluding the obvious 'big six'.

I think we have to be so, so thankful that all three of Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United are in the league at a time when we're absolutely hopeless.
I'm a realistic, so far from biased, but I don't think we're overly far away from the likes of the above if, and it's an important if, the club was run relatively well.

The issue is we aren't run well in the slightest, hence the situation we now find ourselves. Due to the mismanagement, we're slipping further away from them.

I'm talking leadership at the top, the finances, the coaching, the academy... the lot Personally, I would say that on paper we have the making of an okay first XI.

Our tactics at the moment, however, are one-dimensional at best. We lack depth in the squad which limits our ability, which comes down to years of malaise.

Other clubs are limited by their finances too, yet they appear to unearth a few bargains along the way while also buying based on a principle of balance.

We've brought in Beto, Danjuma, Harrison and Chermiti - all up top. Yes, the front line was a real problem, but we've let other areas of the side diminish during it.

What if Pickford was injured? Our defence is paper thin and not reliable; the midfield lacks creativity and an injury or two will cripple us.

I know the academy is not in a good way either. Right now, we need someone to come in, jettison lots of the ol' heads and start afresh.

I know as a palace fan it must be tough but at least take solace in them hoovering up lesser trophies whilst our neighbours have taken the big ones.
Mate, there is no solace in them winning anything. I get that they are over achieving at the moment, and in a stylish way. But the over reaction to this is like the story of “The Kings New Clothes”
Olympian levels of hyperbole.
They are “The Human League” in a Premier League of “The Clash” and “The Specials”.

I'm a realistic, so far from biased, but I don't think we're overly far away from the likes of the above if, and it's an important if, the club was run relatively well.

The issue is we aren't run well in the slightest, hence the situation we now find ourselves. Due to the mismanagement, we're slipping further away from them.

I'm talking leadership at the top, the finances, the coaching, the academy... the lot Personally, I would say that on paper we have the making of an okay first XI.

Our tactics at the moment, however, are one-dimensional at best. We lack depth in the squad which limits our ability, which comes down to years of malaise.

Other clubs are limited by their finances too, yet they appear to unearth a few bargains along the way while also buying based on a principle of balance.

We've brought in Beto, Danjuma, Harrison and Chermiti - all up top. Yes, the front line was a real problem, but we've let other areas of the side diminish during it.

What if Pickford was injured? Our defence is paper thin and not reliable; the midfield lacks creativity and an injury or two will cripple us.

I know the academy is not in a good way either. Right now, we need someone to come in, jettison lots of the ol' heads and start afresh.
Love this post and agree on absolutely every point.

The thought of Pickford picking up a serious injury doesn't bear thinking about. I honestly cannot believe a club in such a precarious position like ours has gambled on that one alone. Begovic was perfectly fine as a backup, unless he wanted to leave. But even then, plenty of decent keepers about that don't cost the earth.

I'm at the point where 17th is completely fine this season and next, assuming we move into the new place after the end of next season.

That represents a rebirth of the club for me, and as long as we're in the Premier League at that stage I think we can be ok - just as long as we aren't still in this position of having to exit a transfer with a horrible unbalanced squad where even the manager knows is just an injury or two away from certain relegation.

We have one of Ireland's most famous and loved players and yet rarely shop there; it's bizarre. Half of Brighton's academy is Irish.
There's loads of decent prospects coming out of Ireland at the moment. They had to change the model after Brexit. A lot are going to the continent rather than England or Scotland.

Ferguson is a freak of nature though tbf, played league of Ireland at 14

Mate, there is no solace in them winning anything. I get that they are over achieving at the moment, and in a stylish way. But the over reaction to this is like the story of “The Kings New Clothes”
Olympian levels of hyperbole.
They are “The Human League” in a Premier League of “The Clash” and “The Specials”.
Sorry Al they really aren't.
They are revelatory and an inspiration to any team outside the top 6.
If they are the Stranglers then Palace are more Captain Sensible.
I shudder to think what Everton would be .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back