Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's was worse - basically what they've said with that decision is that as long as you were going for the ball, it doesn't matter if you miss it by miles and take out the player.

We can expect about 3 penalties to be awarded between now and the end of the season, it seems.
I just want consistency. I now have no idea what I am watching. The decision given against the Poland goalkeeper was the worst I have ever seen in a major match. It was never like that. Goalkeepers - rightly or wrongly - were given the benefit of the doubt on that kind of contact if there was no intent to play the man (in the Szczęsny case, he couldn't even see the man as he was diving backwards in an honest attempt to get a touch on the ball).

But once you unilaterally change the interpretation, all contact like that must be penalised. And, let's be honest. Onana clattered into the Wolves player in a way that I, as a former goalkeeper, would say was borderline even in the old days.

VAR allows the authorities two things: artificial TV drama and a chance to control the narrative. It's been a pox on the game.

Tonight's was worse - basically what they've said with that decision is that as long as you were going for the ball, it doesn't matter if you miss it by miles and take out the player.

We can expect about 3 penalties to be awarded between now and the end of the season, it seems.

Fully expect another apology. Only took them 1 game into the season to make it.

2 incidents this week involving a keeper and both cost their team points.

I just want consistency. I now have no idea what I am watching. The decision given against the Poland goalkeeper was the worst I have ever seen in a major match. It was never like that. Goalkeepers - rightly or wrongly - were given the benefit of the doubt on that kind of contact if there was no intent to play the man (in the Szczęsny case, he couldn't even see the man as he was diving backwards in an honest attempt to get a touch on the ball).

But once you unilaterally change the interpretation, all contact like that must be penalised. And, let's be honest. Onana clattered into the Wolves player in a way that I, as a former goalkeeper, would say was borderline even in the old days.

VAR allows the authorities two things: artificial TV drama and a chance to control the narrative. It's been a pox on the game.

The below is worse decision, not only for not giving the penalty for handball but for the ref giving the penalty for handball and then claiming he didn't. No prizes for guessing which ground and which opponent this was against:

Had a tenner on wolves at 8-1 at about 85mins as they were knocking on the door.
Robbed of 80 quid there with that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back