2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main difference is that Gomes can at least pick a pass sometimes. I think that, like Iwobi, Gomes has a place as a bench filler for the next couple of years.

Yeah that's what I mean really by 'If not - what does he offer off the ball?"

It's basic stuff and I say the same with Gomes but if a midfielder doesn't offer anything really on the ball, they have to do a job off it.
Add to that, we're now into Tom's fifth full season with the club and I am struggling to recognise where he's make sizeable gains on his areas of weakness.

If we're having the same conversation over and over again e.g. what he offers off the ball, surely that's a sign that things are progressing as we'd like or accept.

He still has age on his side so it would be foolish to write him off just yet, but looking at it objectively it's not unfair to have some serious doubts over his potential.

Reckon he will end up a very good defensive midfielder. Clearly lucky mistake for Rotherham by him, however, about the only one pressing the ball and understanding the danger. Those are the breaks in that position. The entire back line were like rabbits in head lights for much of the game
There were some older more experienced professionals who should be stepping up.

Reckon he will end up a very good defensive midfielder. Clearly lucky mistake for Rotherham by him, however, about the only one pressing the ball and understanding the danger. Those are the breaks in that position. The entire back line were like rabbits in head lights for much of the game

I can understand that but as I said on the match thread where is our midfield. When the back four just had the likes of Davies and Gomes in front what could you expect.

I can understand that but as I said on the match thread where is our midfield. When the back four just had the likes of Davies and Gomes in front what could you expect.
Midfield is very general, like Allan you cant lump Davies as the same type of midfielder as Rodriguez, entirely different role and responsibility. And to be honest with Gomes and Rodriguez in front of you, without Daucoure the willing engine and link (Box to Box), reckon Allan would have struggled at times yesterday.

He can’t really tackle nor his positioning will make him a dm. What is his strength?

Don’t think he has improved since that goal vs Citch. He may still stay because of the home grown rule. If he and Gomes can’t dominate the cm against a low tier Championship club then pretty sure we need more cm.
Just as well Davies was not playing traditional CM and Gomes was.

A midfield of Davies , Gomes, Iwobi and Gordon got out fought and overrun by a team next to bottom of the championship. They had no fight or leadership. I’m convinced bringing on Doucoure changed that. None of those four are good enough for our starting eleven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back