2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a board who's master plan is to be in relegation battles and try and stay up and put posters of it on the walls so paying a player to sit on the bench to make up the sub tally and maybe get a game now and again fits right in with their way of thinking.

Don't give a toss about Davies. Just want the decision makers booted as far away from the club as possible where they can do no further damage.

But Gomes just had a good loan, has interest and is on a way higher wage so why would we do that?

….erm, because he’s better. We scraped out of relegation. Extending Davies contract does absolutely nothing to improve last seasons squad. i suggest having Gomes instead of Davies improves the squad.

You mention Gomes is a higher wage. I suggest paying Gomes for one season and using him from time to time is cheaper and more effective than giving Davies a 2 or 3 year deal and rarely using him. It’s not rocket science, we are compounding the useless strategy of the past.

….erm, because he’s better. We scraped out of relegation. Extending Davies contract does absolutely nothing to improve last seasons squad. i suggest having Gomes instead of Davies improves the squad.

You mention Gomes is a higher wage. I suggest paying Gomes for one season and using him from time to time is cheaper and more effective than giving Davies a 2 or 3 year deal and rarely using him. It’s not rocket science, we are compounding the useless strategy of the past.

How is using Gomes from time to time on his huge wage cheaper than using Davies from time to time on his low wage? lol

Davies might be sold in Jan, sold next Summer... you're assuming if he signed a new deal he'd still be here in 3 years time just to try and give your point weight.

You preached critical thinking in an earlier post but you aren't using any at all here.

20230609195548.webp

How is using Gomes from time to time on his huge wage cheaper than using Davies from time to time on his low wage? lol

Davies might be sold in Jan, sold next Summer... you're assuming if he signed a new deal he'd still be here in 3 years time just to try and give your point weight.

You preached critical thinking in an earlier post but you aren't using any at all here.

….Gomes is surely better. I prefer to assume Davies will still be here in two years because he’s still here after 6. I might be wrong, but I don’t see demand for him at the end of next season when there’s been none last summer or January. Even if somebody wants him, there has to be a chance he wants to run his deal down.

We need to improve. All logic suggests this decision does nothing to improve us.

….Gomes is surely better. I prefer to assume Davies will still be here in two years because he’s still here after 6. I might be wrong, but I don’t see demand for him at the end of next season when there’s been none last summer or January. Even if somebody wants him, there has to be a chance he wants to run his deal down.

We need to improve. All logic suggests this decision does nothing to improve us.

Who really cares about the ability gap between Davies and Gomes for 500 minutes across a ~3,500 minute season though? If you want to improve you need to get better financially and this does that. He's had links to Rangers and Norwich so there has been a demand and might still.

He hasn't even accepted or rejected the deal yet.

Who really cares about the ability gap between Davies and Gomes for 500 minutes across a ~3,500 minute season though? If you want to improve you need to get better financially and this does that. He's had links to Rangers and Norwich so there has been a demand and might still.

He hasn't even accepted or rejected the deal yet.

….ultimately, the balance of decisions on contract extensions has to be on a football and not a financial basis. I suspect we are talking marginal finance benefits & even then I would think Gomes is the cheaper option (one year salary v 2 or 3 for Davies).

I said Gomes is the better footballing option, in reality I should’ve said ‘least worst’. My actual preference is to bring in somebody we use & let them both go.

This decision is a big concern for me.

Last edited:
….ultimately, the balance of decisions on contract extensions has to be on a football and not a financial basis. I suspect we are talking marginal finance benefits & even then I would think Gomes is the cheaper option.

My actual preference is to bring in somebody we use & let them both go.

Nah, no chance. He's only like 3x Davies wage. We can also sell Gomes for a fee this Summer after a successful loan.

This is like having a broken washing machine that would cost more to fix than replace but you go ahead and fix it anyway. Makes no sense 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back