2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's suggesting he becomes a mainstay?

Last game of the season we had two keepers, one of whom has since left and we still had space on the bench.

He's a (relatively) low cost option.

Is it ideal? No.

It's probably better than letting him leave for nothing. He still might.
He still might what? What are his strengths?

Who's suggesting he becomes a mainstay?

Last game of the season we had two keepers, one of whom has since left and we still had space on the bench.

He's a (relatively) low cost option.

Is it ideal? No.

It's probably better than letting him leave for nothing. He still might.

The problem with players on the bench is they have an awful habit of getting on the pitch - like Davies has 160 odd times.

He’s not good enough! Let’s add a midfielder that puts Gana on the bench.

….but buying a ‘first choice’ player means a current ‘first choice‘ player drops to the bench. Pretty basic really but that’s how you make your squad stronger. Extending the contracts of deadwood is exactly the wrong strategy to improve performance.
It also leads to an expense bench that we can’t afford

….so, we keep extending everybody’s contract because it’s a ‘low cost option’ & ‘he still might”. It means we don’t improve but at least we save money.

it truly isn’t good enough if we want to break out of this cycle.

We don't extend "everyone."

Am I delighted he's been offered an extention? No.

Its not the disaster people are making it out to be.

We don't extend "everyone."

Am I delighted he's been offered an extention? No.

Its not the disaster people are making it out to be.

….not in isolation but it’s a bad sign. Extending contracts of players in the category of never being good enough to start games is a huge concern of Thelwell’s capacity to judge footballers.

We shouldn’t be blasé about this decision.

I think decisions like this in general would make more sense if the club was way more transparent about what we can actually achieve.

I'd rather they just whacked up a statement "hey we're pretty skint, we'll do what we can, we want forwards"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back