Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have been completely right about Everton for 19 of the last 20 seasons are regularly called "overly negative" - but there's only been one season where the "overly negative" were wrong: 2004/05. You're the one saying "8 wins will do it" as if Everton are Sacchi-era Milan. I'm not predicting 8 losses. I am predicting 9th place - as I have for most of this season. Who knows? Maybe I am overly negative and we'll finish 8th. I'd say that's well within the margin of error. As for points predictions, if we have 10 games left, I'd imagine we'll win 4, lose 4 and draw 2. Something mediocre like that, befitting an upper mid-table side. Like us. I'd be thrilled if your "optimistic" take was correct. Indeed, I hope you are, but I can't see it. I am happy enough with this season. I see progress. I just want us to back the manager properly in the summer. Then maybe I'll join those of you with sunnier dispositions when it comes to next season's predictions.

So that's 62 then which means we'll get a winner. You think 62 will only get 9th or 8th I'd we are lucky? You said 8 losses were more likely than 8 wins. I think we'll get closer to 8 wins in fact your own prediction of 4 wins 4 draws and 2 losses means even you think we'll get closer to 8 wins than 8 losses. So you have effectively argued against your own statement.

So that's 62 then which means we'll get a winner. You think 62 will only get 9th or 8th I'd we are lucky? You said 8 losses were more likely than 8 wins. I think we'll get closer to 8 wins in fact your own prediction of 4 wins 4 draws and 2 losses means even you think we'll get closer to 8 wins than 8 losses. So you have effectively argued against your own statement.
Um, no I haven't. Go back and read what I said: 4 wins, 4 losses, and 2 draws. I'm saying we'll finish 8th or 9th. Which is what I've said all season. As I said, I reckon we'll finish with a mediocre set of results, winning about four games. That's about our level. We'll finish somewhere around 60 points, in my view.

Um, no I haven't. Go back and read what I said: 4 wins, 4 losses, and 2 draws. I'm saying we'll finish 8th or 9th. Which is what I've said all season. As I said, I reckon we'll finish with a mediocre set of results, winning about four games. That's about our level. We'll finish somewhere around 60 points, in my view.

4 wins 4 draws is 16 points added to 46 already accrued and it gives a total of 62. Simple maths really.

For this team it really is. When the chips are down, you are hoping they will win 80% of their matches? Not a prayer. Far more likely to lose 8 of them than win that many. We'll stumble along, win a few, lose a few, draw a few and finish 9th.

Is where YOU typed that you thought 8 losses were more likely than 8 wins.

Some feat of accumulation that would be...

It would but it can happen and as I've said above I will keep believing and if I'm wrong it's only me that will be disappointed as no one else should be influenced by anything but their own believes. However as I have just found out belief is a really bad characteristic. Should never try and show confidence as that my burst some peoples negative persona.

I said 4 wins and 2 draws.

My apologies I misread. Its just usually it goes win draw loss. I think ultimately we'll have to agree to disagree. Nevermind though I'll stay in my happy place you stay in your negative place. I know how I would rather feel.

Two easy games coming up and six points would put us in the frame.

I think they might put Villa game in hand between them 2 games. At least then we'll have a better idea what's going on. 7 points would be the minimum we should be taking but 9 is a possibility particularly if James plays at least 2 of them.

You wouldn’t think it was only a few weeks ago James Rodriguez played a slide rule through ball to Richalrison to score to set us on our way to win at Anfield, we came back from two down at Old Trafford to draw, and we beat Spurs 5-4 despite going one down. It’s all been worse than Allardyce apparently.
The reality is we've been useless since Martinez's first season, in terms of when we could last say, we had a decent season. The problem is, we simply bought average players for huge amounts of money and this created the illusion we were moving forwards. Pickford, Williams, Snides, Gomes, Klassen, Lookman, Sigurdsson, Bolaise and Tosun. It was always gonna take a long time for Ancelotti to get rid of the deadwood and bring in new players.

To spend the amount of money we did in the summer of 2017 and have to sack our manager and bring in Sam Allardyce to avoid relegation was absolutely ridiculous. I don't think we as fans appreciate, just how awful it's been to be an Everton fan in recent years. Even teams like Palace, West Ham and Southampton have gone to the big clubs, outplayed them and won. How many times have we lost to average teams in cup competitions? the last time, we could honestly say we tried out best in the cup was 2009. I think Carlo has a winning mentality and I think, if he can bring in some top quality players, we have the possibility of winning something.

My apologies I misread. Its just usually it goes win draw loss. I think ultimately we'll have to agree to disagree. Nevermind though I'll stay in my happy place you stay in your negative place. I know how I would rather feel.
Yes, you misread but you were quick to throw your unfortunate "simple maths" jibe in as you did so. I'm too old to use it against you now. That's to my credit. Your apology is to yours.

Let me be clear: I did not mean to upset you. I simply think some of your statements are wildly optimistic. I hope, however, that you are right and can come back to me later this season and rub my face in it. I don't think it's a case of feeling better "in a happy place" or in a "negative" one. I'd rather be in an accurate place. It's for both of us to judge where we think that is. Take it easy.

Yes, you misread but you were quick to throw your unfortunate "simple maths" jibe in as you did so. I'm too old to use it against you now. That's to my credit. Your apology is to yours.

Let me be clear: I did not mean to upset you. I simply think some of your statements are wildly optimistic. I hope, however, that you are right and can come back to me later this season and rub my face in it. I don't think it's a case of feeling better "in a happy place" or in a "negative" one. I'd rather be in an accurate place. It's for both of us to judge where we think that is. Take it easy.

I knew I shouldn't have come on here tonight after a defeat. The negativy gets to me. I took your deluded comment to heart and then you said belief was a bad virtue. I think you like me have had your hopes dashed many times. After last weeks defeat against Burnley I went straight to bed as I was so disappointed. I absolutely shouldn't have said the simple maths comment but I can't un say it and it actually ended up making me look the fool.

I knew I shouldn't have come on here tonight after a defeat. The negativy gets to me. I took your deluded comment to heart and then you said belief was a bad virtue. I think you like me have had your hopes dashed many times. After last weeks defeat against Burnley I went straight to bed as I was so disappointed. I absolutely shouldn't have said the simple maths comment but I can't un say it and it actually ended up making me look the fool.
The Internet is a cruel place these days. I'm 48, I had my fill of belligerence on forum threads well over 20 years ago. It goes with the intensity of youth. When you get a bit older, you possibly understand people a little better and become less determined to nail people with their own words. FFS, a 48-year-old man having a war of words with someone he doesn't know on the Internet is, shall we say, a little unbecoming? :) Especially a fellow Evertonian? Nah. Not for me.

I shouldn't have called you deluded. I think you are, mind, but nah, only joking. :p

Let's just say I feel your pain. I've seen way too many false dawns. I don't think I'm remotely negative about Everton - after all, I can always rely on them to let me down - but I am cynical about them now. I know you are hurting after tonight. I just don't like to see fans building their hopes up when, almost inevitably, they will not be fulfilled. It'll turn you cynical like me. And, truth be told, hope is a great thing. Hold on to it. But it can drive a man mad.

You didn't look like a fool. Maybe you looked, for a moment, like you were in need of a visit to Specsavers, but you didn't look like a fool. Your following response saw to that. You seem self-aware to me. And you know what? Maybe you'll even be proved right. Take it handy. See you around.

The reality is we've been useless since Martinez's first season, in terms of when we could last say, we had a decent season. The problem is, we simply bought average players for huge amounts of money and this created the illusion we were moving forwards. Pickford, Williams, Snides, Gomes, Klassen, Lookman, Sigurdsson, Bolaise and Tosun. It was always gonna take a long time for Ancelotti to get rid of the deadwood and bring in new players.

To spend the amount of money we did in the summer of 2017 and have to sack our manager and bring in Sam Allardyce to avoid relegation was absolutely ridiculous. I don't think we as fans appreciate, just how awful it's been to be an Everton fan in recent years. Even teams like Palace, West Ham and Southampton have gone to the big clubs, outplayed them and won. How many times have we lost to average teams in cup competitions? the last time, we could honestly say we tried out best in the cup was 2009. I think Carlo has a winning mentality and I think, if he can bring in some top quality players, we have the possibility of winning something.

I think we’re at ground zero for Carlo’s time here. He picked up a cruise ship hurtling in the wrong direction in every aspect. He’s slowed the ship down, stopped it, and has now turned it around and pointed it in the right direction. Some will say we are no better off than we were if we finish 8th this season, but I think we now have at least a chance of buying the right players to add to a stable base and moving forward next season. We’ve not had that type of continuity for a long time. I’ve got huge faith in Carlo to get it right based on what I’ve seen already and the improvement in the players that are here.

People who have been completely right about Everton for 19 of the last 20 seasons are regularly called "overly negative" - but there's only been one season where the "overly negative" were wrong: 2004/05. You're the one saying "8 wins will do it" as if Everton are Sacchi-era Milan. I'm not predicting 8 losses. I am predicting 9th place - as I have for most of this season. Who knows? Maybe I am overly negative and we'll finish 8th. I'd say that's well within the margin of error. As for points predictions, if we have 10 games left, I'd imagine we'll win 4, lose 4 and draw 2. Something mediocre like that, befitting an upper mid-table side. Like us. I'd be thrilled if your "optimistic" take was correct. Indeed, I hope you are, but I can't see it. I am happy enough with this season. I see progress. I just want us to back the manager properly in the summer. Then maybe I'll join those of you with sunnier dispositions when it comes to next season's predictions.

Obviously weve won 50% of our games so far. So statistically we 'should' win 5 of 10.

You think we'll only win 4 out of 10.

Lets say we manage to win 6 out of 10. That puts us on 64pts.

Throw in 2 draws and were on 66pts which isnt far off 4th i imagine.

Fine margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back