Match Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton - Team Prediction, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all contact is a foul.
Nail on the head here: if you think about shoulder barges or holding a player off - contact doesn't automatically mean a foul.

I know we lost, but I haven’t seen Everton take the game to one of the ‘big 6’ away like that for decades.

Very, very encouraging.
Aye, I think there are many positives we can take from yesterday's performance. We'd run four league games on the bounce, and Spurs away is a tricky fixture.

But, we showed determination and played some good football. If we were more clinical up front or had a sprinkling of a few better players, we'd have won that.

If you think back to last season or the year before, we were nowhere near competing against most team, let alone top ones.

Seldom seen us be so unlucky.
  1. A perfectly fine goal chalked off
  2. A crystal clear penalty not given
  3. Hitting the post
  4. Hitting the bar and bouncing down 80% over the line
Could have easily been 4-2 to us, but typically we lost 2-0 and once again saw us outcarded against the opposition which is happening every game now.

Really hard not to believe they've got it in for us and it's being blatantly played out in front of our eyes.

Having rewatched the foul, I can't get my head around them deeming it clear and obvious. I can sort of see it given as a typical, soft foul in real time (let's not kid ourselves, we'd try to claim it), but to go back and change it is the very definition of re-refereeing the game, which they persistenty claim is not the aim. Both procedurally wrong, and wrong in the sense its nonsense to give fouls for that little contact generally.

Of course we would.

Gomes' knee clashed against his knee on his standing leg, which helped him lose his balance. It's a foul all day long for me.

Given the precarious position Emerson was in on the pitch, there has to be no doubt in the tackle. It's one of those places that refs always lean on the side of the defender. The same as they always protect the keeper when there's a sniff of a foul.

Either way, the fact we're here debating it is testament to it being impossible to 'objectively' implement rules. There is always a dose of subjectivity in decision making. VAR is completely melty in its pursuit of objective truth. It's tedious as F and only squeezes the life out of the game. To deny supporters and players the chance to celebrate or fume in realtime is as warped as it gets.

Drama is part and parcel of football, including incorrect decisions. Embrace it and let the game flow.

Spurs fan in peace.

I can imagine that result is hard to take as you deserved a draw at least.
We were very good in the first 30 mins, which won the game for us, but beyond that you were the better side.
How that shot from Danjuma never went in near the end I'll never know.

It's a pleasing result for us as the second half we had 5 players in the defence and midfield that would never start if it weren't for injuries, so we knew it was going to be tough to hold the lead.

As for the disallowed goal. It was a foul imo, but the ref and linesman had clear views of it, so they were at fault for missing it, so for that reason I don't think we could have complained if VAR hadn't gone with the on field decision.

Anyway, it's good to see you doing well and shoving the 10 points deduction up the premier leagues ar*e.
You played some good football and will have no problem going forward.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Nail on the head here: if you think about shoulder barges or holding a player off - contact doesn't automatically mean a foul.

Aye, I think there are many positives we can take from yesterday's performance. We'd run four league games on the bounce, and Spurs away is a tricky fixture.

But, we showed determination and played some good football. If we were more clinical up front or had a sprinkling of a few better players, we'd have won that.

If you think back to last season or the year before, we were nowhere near competing against most team, let alone top ones.
The only negative, apart from missed chances, was the points picked by teams below us.

Very similar to our 5-1 game at Brighton I thought except we were more clinical that day.

I thought we were far better yesterday. Physically got to grips with a very good side, created numerous chances and not just on the counter attack but by camping them in their own half for long periods.

Pickford barely had anything to do apart from 1 save and pick the ball out of his net twice.

Agree though about how we were more clinical against Brighton. Really tough to take when we've been so dominant and once again the forward line haven't produced enough quality to finish off the multiple chances provided.

I thought we were far better yesterday. Physically got to grips with a very good side, created numerous chances and not just on the counter attack but by camping them in their own half for long periods.

Pickford barely had anything to do apart from 1 save and pick the ball out of his net twice.

Agree though about how we were more clinical against Brighton. Really tough to take when we've been so dominant and once again the forward line haven't produced enough quality to finish off the multiple chances provided.
I noticed in the highlights that DCL's headed chance came off his shoulder. Seems to happen a lot with him. Great leap but he's nowhere near Duncan or Tim in terms of quality of heading.

I noticed in the highlights that DCL's headed chance came off his shoulder. Seems to happen a lot with him. Great leap but he's nowhere near Duncan or Tim in terms of quality of heading.

Yep his leap is unreal but his timing leaves a lot to be desired. The run he makes is great as he gets in front of his man and he doesn't have to break stride or do anything too difficult. Such a poor effort and they're the fine margins between getting positive results and walking away with nothing.

I'd start Beto against City and have DCL fresh for Wolves away as that's a game where I feel we've got a great chance of getting a positive result.

Status
Not open for further replies.