Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i heard martinez's call for the 'transfer window to be shut' - thats when i knew our business is done.

*sadface*

I'm the opposite. I just think he's been told to leave any deals that involve tough negotiation till the last day so we can drive a harder bargain. If the window was closed we'd have the full squad at the start of the season and not in September. We'll make a couple of late signings. Whether it will be enough to damp down the supporters discontent, remains to be seen.

that is a good point being banded about. We have spent the least amount of money, have a rather small squad and now its one game in and we are already injury ravaged. We have currently 3 senior defenders fit enough to play, with 2 back up players who arent fullbacks but will need to cover.

Midfield wise we have started with 2 out of 6 central midfielders injured, not a problem, except one of them is injured all the time and we havent replaced them?

Out wide we have piennar (always injured) MCGeady (injured?) Mirallas (injured), Del (injured) and when he covers cleverely,

Up front we have 2 strikers and a naismith.

Incredible really! How the hell is the club or the manager meant to progress when 1 week in and this is what he is facing with no sign of any new players to come in. Jesus never mind improving, we need signings just to stop sinking!

I laughed.

Oh and you didn't mention we have an absolutely terrible keeper.

Not every time no. But certainly sometimes.

Well of course. Every team has to sign players at some point. I just shake my head when every transfer window some fans fall into the same habit of thinking every team that signs players is going to leap up the table. In recent years, we've seen Villa, Sunderland, QPR, Hull City, Norwich and Fulham, among others, spend decent amounts of money in transfer windows. Shouts of them showing more ambition were made. It's safe to say the spending by those teams was not terribly effective.

For the clubs that aren't super rich, it's about finding the right fit for the right money - not just about the total numbers of players signed and prices spent on players. Can Martinez find the right players? I have no idea. But I get frustrated with fans using other teams' spending as a comparison to ours as though that's a sign for future performance in the league. We've seen too many times that that's not the case.

i understand his point was about stones. but its not exactly great for him if the window was to shut today is it??
That's not what he was saying though.

Hehe was making the point that he believes (rightly imho) that the rules should state the window shuts before the season starts, not that they should throw the rules out the window now and shut the window instantly

Still can't get over Shaqiri going Stoke man, the german reporter on SSN then saying before Pep arrived he was very much part of a title winning side, absolutely gutted over this deal.

I'm at the point now that if there was some kind of protest outside Goodison, i would be the one jumping on Kenwrights car as it was about to speed off.
XhnZr8H.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back