Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i for one am really happy about holgate signing

JS69300295.jpg

Mason Holgate scores Barnsley's winning goal in a pre-season win over Huddersfield

Everton are on the brink of signing highly-rated Barnsley defender Mason Holgate from under the noses of Bournemouth in a deal worth £1m.

The Blues have swooped for the 18-year-old, who spent part of the summer on trial at Manchester United, just as Eddie Howes’ Premier League newcomers thought they had lured him to the South coast.

Holgate, who made 22 appearances for the League One outfit after breaking into the team last term, has been compared to John Stones, who followed the same path from academy graduate at the Tykes to Merseyside.

It is understood Everton will pay £500,00 up front and the fee could eventually increased to in excess of £1m in add-ons.

Arsenal have also been linked with the classy defender, who can operate at right back or central defence, while Aston Villa were also reportedly monitoring him.

JS53810524.jpg

Mason Holgate vies for possession in Barnsley's FA Challenge Cup Third Round clash with Middlesbrough - Saturday 3rd January 2015

If talks at Finch Farm progress it is believed that the transfer could officially be announced later today.

There's nothing not to like about it.

However, it doesn't really help right now does it?

T

hey can have him for me as Browning , and Galloway will get a chance, looking back on our history the Catt binned his captain Alex Parker sold him , and played a youngster who was an inside forward to Right Back who went on for England honours the one and only Tommy Wright!
RM has to be bold and use thes young lads use them as cover for Jags and Stones!
Spend our funds on a good player Lennon, and a good striker!

[QUOTE="don

Would rather a boss playmaker more than Lennon, even though I rate Lennon.

I'm not fuming yet at all so this isn't my point of view but I think what people are actually fuming over isn't the lack of signings in isolation. You're right, we usually do most of our business once the season has already kicked off but that's because previously we were spending money from a player sale. This time round however that isn't the case and people assumed there would be money to spend. The fact it hasn't been spent yet (when it makes more sense to get your signings in early to train with their new team mates, settle into the area etc) has people worried that we don't actually have anything to spend.

I personally think we probably have looked at the likes of the lads that went to West Ham and Stoke but we didn't feel they were value for money compared to other options we may have. I think money will be spent but I am worried at what these other options are given we don't appear to have made any major moves for any of our target areas. Obviously things are going on we aren't aware of so hopefully it's just a case of being patient

We do have money, there's no question of that. I'm sure we do.

The benefit for us of waiting until the season has started and more importantly the window is closing, is that we can tend to get our targets quite a bit cheaper than we would in July. People just need to wait it out I think and recall previous windows before starting to get too frustrated.

If we do sign this Barnsley kid it'll be for a nominal fee (with likely add-ons), so it will have virtually no affect on the 3 key signings the manager wants to bring in.

That said, I am worried as to whether we'll actually bring in these mystical 3 new players. Or if it'll be Lennon and a striker on loan on deadline day and then 90 minutes of straight clapping for Kenwright, our Lord and Saviour, at the next home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back