Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh we leave it too late, we clearly had targets 'identified' all the summer, and just moved too late for them.

The striker thing, we can do without.

But if he doesn't pull off a playmaker to create us chances, then this will be an absolute crap summer window, and the club need bollocking for it.

pretty sure it was pienaar/ mirallas on the left, deulofeu / mirallas on the other side.

Well Mirallas played 2327 minutes that season and Deulofeu 900. McGeady played 477 minutes, and they were all our wingers for that year.

So it's safe to say that for the vast majority of that season we didn't play 2 wingers. Mirallas played a lot, then Deulofeu sporadically (usually as a sub) and McGeady a bit after signing in January.

Well Mirallas played 2327 minutes that season and Deulofeu 900. McGeady played 477 minutes, and they were all our wingers for that year.

So it's safe to say that for the vast majority of that season we didn't play 2 wingers. Mirallas played a lot, then Deulofeu sporadically (usually as a sub) and McGeady a bit after signing in January.
i'm positive that we did though, for most of the season.

True...but think Deulofeu would have played plenty more only for a long spell injured.

pienaar played 25 games in that season too, yet you've excluded him.

For most of the season we played with two wingers.

Ah, I don't really count him as a winger though. He does the same job Cleverley does.

This is why we didn't used to play 2 wingers, so we could accommodate Baines. Having someone more central on the left allowed him to overlap.

Ah, I don't really count him as a winger though. He does the same job Cleverley does.

This is why we didn't used to play 2 wingers, so we could accommodate Baines. Having someone more central on the left allowed him to overlap.
i disagree completely, pienaar is totally different than cleverley, and is easily a winger.

cleverley is a good worker and puts in a good shift, but he couldn't do anywhere near the things pienaar could, nor is he anywhere near as effective as he was.

i disagree completely, pienaar is totally different than cleverley, and is easily a winger.

cleverley is a good worker and puts in a good shift, but he couldn't do anywhere near the things pienaar could, nor is he anywhere near as effective as he was.

My point is that we won't play 2 wingers like Deulofeu/Kev, because they primarily drive play on their own. They're flair players with that bit of spark. Roberto doesn't like two of them at a time I don't think.

Pienaar is like Cleverley a bit, but I suppose Osman would have been a better comparison. My point is that they drift into the middle of the pitch more than winger would. They also don't have the pace to bomb down the wing, and they generally bring others into play (often the overlapping fullback) as opposed to driving it themselves.

Personally though I'd rather play with 2 (I'll call them 'proper') wingers as Baines is injured. We look far more of a threat with Kev and Deulofeu on the pitch. But I just can't see it, so to come back to my original point, I'd rather have someone like De Guzman being that "central player on the left" than Osman, Naismith etc. Because I truly don't believe we'll play with 2 out and out wingers.

Kenwright thinks he's played us like a fiddle here with Stones.

Enough is enough.

Everyone around us is spending millions and we are fannying about with three days to sign a world class playmaker.

My point is that we won't play 2 wingers like Deulofeu/Kev, because they primarily drive play on their own. They're flair players with that bit of spark. Roberto doesn't like two of them at a time I don't think.

Pienaar is like Cleverley a bit, but I suppose Osman would have been a better comparison. My point is that they drift into the middle of the pitch more than winger would. They also don't have the pace to bomb down the wing, and they generally bring others into play (often the overlapping fullback) as opposed to driving it themselves.

Personally though I'd rather play with 2 (I'll call them 'proper') wingers as Baines is injured. We look far more of a threat with Kev and Deulofeu on the pitch. But I just can't see it, so to come back to my original point, I'd rather have someone like De Guzman being that "central player on the left" than Osman, Naismith etc. Because I truly don't believe we'll play with 2 out and out wingers.
thats why we need to add someone who is similar to pienaar, but better with the final ball. I.e the 'Playmaker' it's the most vital thing to get in, but de guzman is nothing like pienaar, and nothing like what we need as a playmaker anyway.

I disagree on pienaar and cleverley being any way similar, pienaar excelled in the winger role, cleverley can just fill in, rarely.

Either way i'm sure we BOTH agree we need this 'one' signing to be a damn good one, and a playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back