Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i disagree completely, pienaar is totally different than cleverley, and is easily a winger.

Yeah deffo, Pienaar is a more creative player than Cleverley, Pienaar and Baines down the left side was, well, drool.

cleverley is a good worker and puts in a good shift, but he couldn't do anywhere near the things pienaar could, nor is he anywhere near as effective as he was.

I've come to accept that the one will be Lennon. Think we were holding out for Yarmolenko and it hasn't worked out. Roberto might have had his heart set on him and doesn't want to spend the money on someone else instead. We'll probably go back in for him in January when they've been knocked out of the champions league (hopefully).

I've come to accept that the one will be Lennon. Think we were holding out for Yarmolenko and it hasn't worked out. Roberto might have had his heart set on him and doesn't want to spend the money on someone else instead. We'll probably go back in for him in January when they've been knocked out of the champions league (hopefully).

This doesn't make sense though - if Martinez wanted Yarmolenko, why did we wait until the last few weeks before trying to sign him?

thats why we need to add someone who is similar to pienaar, but better with the final ball. I.e the 'Playmaker' it's the most vital thing to get in, but de guzman is nothing like pienaar, and nothing like what we need as a playmaker anyway.

I disagree on pienaar and cleverley being any way similar, pienaar excelled in the winger role, cleverley can just fill in, rarely.

Either way i'm sure we BOTH agree we need this 'one' signing to be a damn good one, and a playmaker.

Well I don't want this "one" signing to be De Guzman. I was merely thinking if we were going to get an emergency loan in, if Clev is badly injured, that it would be quite ideal. I'm so used to seeing a central player out wide that when Cleverley got injured I didn't think "ooooh now we'll see two wingers", I thought "Osman, Naismith or Ross... which one's getting shunted out wide?"

Pienaar really wasn't as directly effective as you're implying though, I don't think. He was more indirectly effective (hence low assist/goals). His game was all about bringing others into play, which is because as you say, he was a playmaker (using the past tense there... already feels like he's retired ffs). But in my mind a winger is someone with pace who drives at teams. Wingers are your threat from wide, they are not the players who enable your fullback to be your main threat from the flanks. In my opinion anyway!

Ultimately though this is all a bit pointless, because I think we all know this signing is going to be underwhelming.

Well I don't want this "one" signing to be De Guzman. I was merely thinking if we were going to get an emergency loan in, if Clev is badly injured, that it would be quite ideal. I'm so used to seeing a central player out wide that when Cleverley got injured I didn't think "ooooh now we'll see two wingers", I thought "Osman, Naismith or Ross... which one's getting shunted out wide?"

Pienaar really wasn't as directly effective as you're implying though, I don't think. He was more indirectly effective (hence low assist/goals). His game was all about bringing others into play, which is because as you say, he was a playmaker (using the past tense there... already feels like he's retired ffs). But in my mind a winger is someone with pace who drives at teams. Wingers are your threat from wide, they are not the players who enable your fullback to be your main threat from the flanks. In my opinion anyway!

Ultimately though this is all a bit pointless, because I think we all know this signing is going to be underwhelming.
We'll have to agree to disagree on pienaar, but i get where you're coming from, for sure.

That's fine, but just so you know, I always read "agree to disagree" as "you win RFUS, I bow to your intellect, insight and remarkably gruff facial hair".
Hahaha not this time mate, this time it's just that i really disagree with you and i know in your hearts of heart you know you're wrong completely but wont accept it so me wasting my precious time on it is pointless ;)

Oh god.....lets be honest we all had it in the back of our minds we wouldn't end up getting much in, but from two more on Thursday to "hopefully" one more, Christ on a massive bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back