Tuesday or Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has now become the norm, time to forfeit the cups to give ourselves a chance of staying in the league. No doubt some crap team like Middlesbrough or Portsmouth will end up winning the League Cup to make it 3x more to trophies they've won since our last one.

Both, of course!!!
Four weeks ago I would have said the cup game in the slim hope that it leads to a morale-boosting run to Wembley.
But it is clear now that every goal and point in the league is going to be priceless again this season so, if I really have to choose… three points please Blues!

It would be nice to win both, but, Saturday has to take priority. Tuesday would be the ideal time to give young Cannon a game. As we are playing a premier league team, it would give us a much better idea of how far along the development path he is than if we were playing a championship club.

If it was a choice between win/lose, then it'd have to be lose Tuesday and win Saturday, sadly. If win/draw was available...then win Tuesday and draw Saturday.

These sort of hypothetical questions shouldn't really be a thing for the club, but I accept that we are crap so probably need to prioritise.

I expect us to lose both games in fairness. I hate losing in cups, but a loss on Saturday hurts a little bit more than a loss tomorrow.

….sorry Dario, I really don’t think it’s a matter of either or. Indeed we should try and win Tuesday to increase our confidence on Saturday,

if we get beat on Tuesday, I fear it increases our chances of getting beat on Saturday.
Probably play a completely different team Tuesday though so if they do lose it won't affect the confidence so much of the first teamers

Probably play a completely different team Tuesday though so if they do lose it won't affect the confidence so much of the first teamers

…yep, I imagine both teams will change significantly but I think it still helps goung into one game if you’ve won the other. No doubt Saturday is more important given where we are and playing a direct relegation candidate but hoping we lay down a marker tomorrow.

These sort of hypothetical questions shouldn't really be a thing for the club, but I accept that we are crap so probably need to prioritise.
Maybe it's to gauge what attitude fans have towards the cup too? In the famous 83/84 season, the Stoke cup game in January was seen by many as a catalyst for what came next. We had Stoke as our next league game too, yet still put our best team out, won that, and went on from there. Maybe a good win Tuesday could do the same, as Bournemouth will probably make lots of changes. I know it's a different era and the (FA) Cup never really took 2nd fiddle to the league back then, but with the situation as it is (no competitive game for 6 weeks for most of our team) i'd like to see a strong first 11 out tomorrow.

Maybe it's to gauge what attitude fans have towards the cup too? In the famous 83/84 season, the Stoke cup game in January was seen by many as a catalyst for what came next. We had Stoke as our next league game too, yet still put our best team out, won that, and went on from there. Maybe a good win Tuesday could do the same, as Bournemouth will probably make lots of changes. I know it's a different era and the (FA) Cup never really took 2nd fiddle to the league back then, but with the situation as it is (no competitive game for 6 weeks for most of our team) i'd like to see a strong first 11 out tomorrow.
Would be something to replicate that Stoke moment, cant see it with this squad.

Prove me wrong Everton, please!

The aim should be to win both games. I think we have injuries tomorrow so there will be enforced rotation anyway. Maybe Gueye or Onana can recover for the weekend.

83 is well before my time, but my understanding is that we had far better players at that time than we do now. I don't think these players have the quality to turn things around and suddenly become a top side.

But I always go back to the simple fact that the most important game is always the next game. We are not good enough to think two and three games down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.